/dist/images/branding/favicon

Extending Movi Controller range

Discussion in 'MōVI Controller' started by Andrew Griffiths, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Derek Cooper

Derek Cooper Active Member

Argh... *running around the party room popping all the balloons in frustration*

So we're out flying yesterday, all kitted up with the *stock* Movi Controller antenna and nothing else on our *B* Movi Controller as the *A* unit is comfy in its Pelican case on its way back to the mother ship.

Being all cocky ready to watch the drone fly off into the distance while maintaining full Movi and WEDGE connection, my jaw dropped when 15' away I lose my WEDGE connection! I'm like "INSERT EXPLICATIVE HERE," and then, being Canadian, apologized for the foul language.

My only conclusion - the Movi Controller doesn't like the Connex RX in close proximity. But why just the WEDGE and not the Movi losing connection? What is different about the WEDGE? Freefly? Help?!

So, my pilot brought the drone home, powered down, plugged in our Sunhaus booster, powered back up and off we flew as I stammered about kicking the ground in yet more frustration. We need WEDGE. We always use WEDGE. There is nothing like the ability to change the iris mid-flight as lighting conditions change.

2. Paul Christopher Greene

We're experiencing similar issues with other combinations. We recently gained a bit of ground by using omni / mushroom antennas both on the Sunhaus and on the MoVI / Mimic RX and mounting it on one of the landers as far from video TX as possible. Hope this helps...

3. Derek Cooper

You've had luck replacing the WEDGE antenna? We've had zero luck with that approach.

4. Paul Christopher Greene

Sorry - we use RT Motion FIZ which is amazing over long distance. It's not cheap but very reasonably priced for the performance...

5. Michael McVay

Michael McVay Active Member

Since the movi controller is on 2.4, I wonder if a kit like they sell at www.fpvlr.com could work. They use these kits to extend the control and video signal of Phantoms and Inspires (and many others) to reach 8 and 10 miles with nearly perfect signals. They are combining a 2.4 booster with a directional antenna. I have a system I removed from an Inspire (because it was easier to pack the controller into a case with out it and I didn't need more than the standard range of an Inspire anyway) so I could potentially try this sometime in the next week or so - or send it to someone else to give it a try.

6. Paul Christopher Greene

That would be great Michael. Poor camera control is frustrating of course but I also can't help consider that the "louder" one makes one subsystems signal, the more likely it is to interfere with others lol. Never the less, it's very much worth exploring. Thank you!

7. Derek Cooper

Keep us posted Michael.

I'll relay any comments I get from FF once they've put my Movi Controller on their bench.

8. Michael McVay

Michael McVay Active Member

9. Alper Sinan Sahin

Alper Sinan Sahin New Member

10. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

SeBaStIaN BArrEtT Active Member

Any work Derek? Any idea if these issues are slated to continue with the Movi Pro's internal wedge?

11. Derek Cooper

Our second Movi Controller was working as per spec, so we are sticking with our boosting strategy which is working well.

I doubt the Movi Pro will be any different - it's all about getting separation between your Movi and video signal.

Alec Caton likes this.
  12. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

SeBaStIaN BArrEtT Active Member

Ok, thanks for response! FF just RMA for u?

13. AdamSculthorp

AdamSculthorp New Member

Has anybody tried to reprogram the Xbee Pro within the Movi Controller and RX unit? There are developer kits to do this...

14. Guillaume MARION

Hi there, I'm on my second controller. Had the first version then the new one. Whatever the seting in, no way to get better than 200m perfectly clear.

So I installed a 5w booster without any modifications on the contoller, only between the antenna and the connector.

Haven't tested further yet, but using a perfect functionality up to 430m.

15. Stefan Helborg

16. Guillaume MARION

got the same in 5w integrated inside...!

Stefan Helborg likes this.
  17. Kevin Binnemans

Kevin Binnemans New Member

18. Stefan Helborg

Yes I power it with the D-tap port from the back side of the MoVI Controller.

19. Kevin Binnemans

Kevin Binnemans New Member

do you have a link for the D-tap power ref. please ?

20. Stefan Helborg