/dist/images/branding/favicon

Panning issues Movi M5 w/Alta 6

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by Andy Habin, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Andy Habin

Andy Habin New Member

I have a recent setup of the Alta 6 with the Movi M5. All is going well except I am having huge problems trying to get the pan control sorted. All of the other axis respond to control inputs from the Futaba T8J, but the pan is very intermittent. I know the correct channel is mapped to the pan axis but it responds to inputs from the Futaba about one in every 10 inputs. I have been through the Movi app to try and find a set up issue (I'm almost certain is is just a setting) but I can't think for the life of me how to make it more responsive.

The aircraft and all other systems are running very well, but this sticky pan problem is getting in the way of framing up shots and using most of my air time in getting the composition i need.

Has anybody else had any similar issues?
    What pan setting are you guys using in similar situations?

Many thanks,

Andy

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Hi Andy, to start, if you'll go in to the Movi App under 'Monitor' and then 'Charts' and then look at 'Radio', you should see a graphical indication of the signals the Movi is receiving from your controller. If you push the Pan stick while looking at the chart, can you see the graph move?

It may also sound dumb, but the last time I was having a remote Pan problem, my monitor bracket had slipped and gotten in the way of the Pan, physically stopping it, and it took us a while to notice it. Maybe make sure you don't have any cables or anything in the way.

Basic things I would be checking in the app with a Pan problem: Radio Type setting, Pan Stiffness, Aerial\Handheld Mode, and Heading Assist. If you have correct mapping and your windows are set up where you want them, then you should be seeing movement in the Monitor Charts.

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Andy:
    Can you check on the Servo screen (see the 8J manual at page 47). Can you verify that the Pan channel indicator moves smoothly as you move the stick?

You can also use the Test mode (same page) to "waggle" (aka cycle) the servo in LNR (linear mode) so that you can test that the transmitter is sending the correct signals.

And, as Graham says, the MoVI app, Charts -> Radio will allow you to see "the other end of the pipe" as to what signals the MoVI is getting on the pan axis.

Please post again with what you find when you try the above.

Thanks
    Andy (the Other One)

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limitâ„¢
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

4. Andy Habin

Andy Habin New Member

Thank you so much guys, it turns out that somehow (and I'm still trying to work out how!) that the channels have been swapped. The up down movement of the right hand stick was doing the pan instead of the left right. Phew! All sorted now.

Thank you for you kind comments, I have gone down the road of familiarising myself with the other bits of the system for the sake of future trouble shooting.

On to my next problem now, the dire range of the Connex HD system :-( I get perhaps 300 meters max, i have tried channel swapping the FPV system to clear the way for connex, various aerial mounting and powering on the fpv before the connex, none of this has had any effect.

Oh teething problems!!!

However, the Alta, Movi and Sony are performing beautifully!

Kind regards,

Andy.

Attached Files: