/dist/images/branding/favicon

Walkies/2-way radios for ALTA operation

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by Lane Wooder, Jul 31, 2016.

1. Lane Wooder

Lane Wooder New Member

I am looking for a good 2-way radio solution for communication between pilot and gimbal operator that has the least amount of interference with the ALTA's radio receivers (Futaba R7008SB). It would be great to get a system that is also voice activated/hands free. Any suggestions or information (especially any warnings) would be greatly appreciated!

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I suspect you could use a good old FRS radio with VOX capability and headset.
    Something like this: http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/s...mpaignId=T9F&gclid=COD-6eq6oM4CFYVefgodIFMLag

You can probably find those on-line at lower cost.
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limitâ„¢
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

Lane Wooder likes this.
  3. Ben Ruffell

Ben Ruffell Active Member

We use Eartec Comstar

Lane Wooder likes this.
  4. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

What distance\range do you need between the two? For some of my Movi work, I've been using Sena SPH10 bluetooth motorcycle headsets, which are relatively inexpensive compared to the nicer HME's.

You get what you pay for. The internal batteries don't last more than 6 or 7 hours, so we have to charge them at lunch, but the range is maybe 150', and you can connect up to 4 headsets. They're nice for dual-operated shots or whispering with my AC during the takes. The push button system takes a little getting used to, as well.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0087NB2OU/ref=sr_ph_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1470099968&sr=sr-1&keywords=sena+sph10

Lane Wooder likes this.
  5. Lane Wooder

Lane Wooder New Member

Thank you very much for the suggestions Andy, Ben and Graham! I have a few questions about each if you have a few more moments of your time to answer:

Andy, even though they are not on similar frequencies, I was wondering if these walkies create any interference with the RF signal of the control transmitter? I ask this because I had a previous experience of interference when flying a MK Cinestar with Graupner controls. I was on a shoot and the 1st AD was standing close to me, and every time he used his walkie (Motorola CP200 I think) I got a beep/warning from my controller about my signal. Since then I have been wary about the use of walkies close to my operation. However, I no longer fly the MK Cinestar/Graupner equipment, and now use the ALTA/Futaba combo, so these concerns may no longer be valid.

Ben, the Eartec Comstar stuff looks slick and reminds me of the PL systems used on TV shows/live events. Do you know if it is compatible/connects to other PL systems commonly used?

Graham, I only need a few hundred feet max, and 150 would be plenty sufficient most of the time. Looking at the product link you sent, it seems as if these are voice activated, but in your reply you mentioned a push button system. Could you please elaborate?

Once again, thank you all for the info!

6. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Hi Lane,

I consider them 'noise cancelling'... once you've pushed the button and linked, they're always on, but they have a noise gate that demands a sound to pass through. So it's like being on the telephone with the other person, with a threshhold\noise gate. You can push the big button again to disconnect.

There are two buttons and one of them is also a volume dial. Push the two together and it turns the headsets on or off, push the big button to link to the other one, and you're good. There a little 5-second handshake to pair headsets together. It's a little funky at first, but once you're connected it's fine. New grips and operators find the buttons to be weird. I get it.

We tested them to 150'-ish line of sight. Not bad for $160 each. I bought three of them from here: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co...gies-sph-10-bluetooth-stereo-headset-intercom

We're just able to talk quietly hands-free during the shot, which is what we want. The range is OK, fine for most things I'm doing.

Lane Wooder likes this.
  7. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

It's been awhile but if you do a search of the forums there are a couple of threads on the same topic. One solution used by the Freefly team in the past was simply a set of home type wireless telephones, something like Panasonic or Uniden. Cheap, headsets available and got the job done.

8. Justin Marx

Justin Marx Active Member

Eartech is amazing.. I've been using their Comstar system for 2 years now and it's absolutley amazing!

9. Ben Ruffell

Ben Ruffell Active Member

Hi,

We have never connected it to another system. Pretty sure it is a stand alone one.

Never had any interference.

We often run it with up to 8 headsets. (I shoot a lot of car commercials, and on tracking vehicles etc it is perfect).

Cheers,

Graham Futerfas likes this.
  10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Lane: The general rule is that if you are close to any transmitter, it doesn't matter what frequency it is transmitting on! So yes, if you are standing less than 3 feet/1 meter away, you may see some interference from a walkie-talkie. But if you're, say, 9 feet/3 meters, then I doubt you will see much unless (as you say) the transmitter is on the same frequency (or close).

Those distances will vary depending on the power of the transmitter -- so your AD might have been using a transmitter radiating a two watts or more.

The real cure is to tell the AD to stand way away from you. This can have added benefits depending on the personality of the AD. :rolleyes:

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limitâ„¢
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert