/dist/images/branding/favicon

How to Set Up Sony A7s to 1 FPS?

Discussion in 'Cameras' started by Ricardo Mor, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Ricardo Mor

Ricardo Mor Member

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

3. Ricardo Mor

Ricardo Mor Member

thanks a lot graham!!!! thats very good!

4. Ricardo Mor

Ricardo Mor Member

but do you think that with this intervalometer you can shoot one 1 FPS on the A7s?

5. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

I have a similar intervalometer for my Canon 5D Mark 3, and it does one frame per second. It's a shutter release trigger, so whenever the little box sends a signal, the camera takes a picture. Assuming the A7S can buffer and be ready to take a picture every second consistently, then it should work. But I don't own an A7 nor tried it with this intervalometer, so I can't speak to that specific combination.

Mine won't do faster shutter releases, so 2 FPS is not possible, but you can do 1 frame every second, every two seconds, every 5 seconds, or even every hour if you want. It's easily programmable.

6. Ricardo Mor

Ricardo Mor Member

awesome, thanks for sharing your experience.

7. Robbert van Weelderen

Isn't there an "app" you can use on any Sony alpha series camera's so you can shoot timelapses?

8. Ricardo Mor

Ricardo Mor Member

Sony Playmemories,
    But iam trying ti capture 1FPS..

9. Dylan Glockler

You can buy a time lapse app on the camera if you setup an account with Sony. Using that you can capture 1fps to a collection of stills which you compile later in QuickTime or Premiere, etc or it can write to an AVI video file.

I have had some bad luck with it in the past. Initially, on the first a7s it would just stop suddenly, for no reason, no error and if you were capturing to a video file you'd have nothing. If you were capturing to stills (there are options to do either or both) you'd just to the point where it stopped, which was annoying.

That seems to be resolved (perhaps firmware update - i don't see that the apps themselves are updating but maybe they do with the firmware updates) but the issue I have now on the a7s mark ii - I'm using a MetaBones adapter and Canon 24-105 L lens. When I try to start the time lapse it says I can't do so with the SteadyShot active. I go to SteadyShot and it's on but greyed out, so no ability to turn it off. The trick is to switch stabilization to 'on' physically on with the IS lens, start the time lapse then shut it off (if you prefer, to save power potentially). Generally a time lapse is either static on sticks or pretty stable using some kind of mechanics, so the lens stabilization shouldn't be necessary. In any case, kind of a bug, no doubt it works perfectly with an actual Sony lens that has SteadyShot.

Using it with an older, manual Nikon lens works as expected.

To summarize, to do 1fps with Sony Play Memories - you download the time lapse app on the camera, then run it to do your capture.

Graham Futerfas likes this.