/dist/images/branding/favicon

Shifting weight of lens

Discussion in 'Cameras' started by Cody Hanthorn, Jul 31, 2016.

1. Cody Hanthorn

Cody Hanthorn Member

All,

I know the gimbles are muscular in the sense of motor power especially when you are not flying a red.. I recently upgraded lenses on my camera to a longer zoom. After mounting it in the middle of the zoom length I wondered what others where doing as well. If you zoom out all the way, or in you are now not cg'd well. The issue would compound more with larger longer zoom glass like a 18-200mm. I could only think of splitting hairs and setup in the middle of zoom. I get some might use a prime lens, or small zooming lense with little to any weight shift.

Thoughts?

Thanks
    -Cody

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

The MōVI's "tool-less" adjustments make rebalancing quite fast. Don't estimate it...do the work to re-balance when you change the zoom. But if you're using a FIZ or something to change the zoom while shooting, you may be out of luck if your lens dramatically changes length.

3. Cody Hanthorn

Cody Hanthorn Member

Yea thats kinda what I think was going to happen. Doing a shoot of a baseball field for example having to move back the camera is pretty quick. I spent a great deal of time reading this morning and chewing on this. The FIZ" I have worked only because it was the kit lens. It moved so little it was possible to zoom and compose in the air completely, but its not a good lens. The other thing I became aware of is the fair amount of weight added in to zoom lenses...lol.

In my experience 'FIZ' is needed in some scenarios. Maybe its only a little, but it has helped when trees, powerlines, or other objects are in the way so you cannot back up the ship. Yes owning several lenses is a great tool if its possible.

-Cody