/dist/images/branding/favicon

Accelerometer fail warning

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by Andy Habin, May 6, 2016.

1. Andy Habin

Andy Habin New Member

Hi all,

I am a new Alta 6 pilot. I had it in the air today for the first time, what a brilliant bit of kit. It flew as expected and was a lot of fun, even with the velocity clamps set to idiot mode.

Either way, during the flight, the red LED on the aft end lit up and the Alta app said 1 warning, at the top of the app screen it said "Accelerometer fail." I landed the aircraft immediately with no issues.

It did not affect the flight characteristics at all, or not that I could notice.

I rebooted the aircraft and the warning had gone. I had a very low level flight and it seemed fine. Knowing what accelerometers do for bits of kit like this, it did make me nervous.

Has anyone else had this issue? I did speak to the dealer and they said it was noticed in the past and was in theory addressed in a recent firmware update. ( I am flying with the latest firmware.)

I will contact Freefly about this, hopefully it's just a glitch.

Thanks for listening,

Andy.

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Andy (good choice of name): Yeah, definitely open up a ticket by sending an email to support@freeflysystems.com please.

Please post again when you know what the problem is.

Andy
    ----------
    Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limitâ„¢
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

Humberto Barchini likes this.
  3. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Andy, do you know how to extract the flight log from the microSD card in your ALTA? Freefly support will probably want to see that. And there's a couple of options for reading the data on the card. Copy the latest files off the card then put it back in the ALTA. @Andy Johnson-Laird wrote a utility to decode it, as did Freefly themselves. The information in the log may help diagnose what happened.

4. Andy Habin

Andy Habin New Member

All fantastic stuff, thanks for the advice chaps. I will get my daily flight out the way and then work from home extracting the data. I'd like to be able to read this in the future so it's a worthy exercise.
    I'll open up a ticket with FreeFly also.
    I'll keep you posted of any developments.

Andy.

5. Jeff Camden

Jeff Camden New Member

Hi Andy,
    Just had the same warning pop up for me. Have sent the flight log and info to the help desk.
    Just wondering if you heard back from them and what the result was?
    Cheers

6. Andy Habin

Andy Habin New Member

Hi Jeff,

I did the same. It turns out, if you have a landing bounce, this is the result. It's just unsettles the accelerometers. I didn't take much of a bounce to set it off on my Alta, I was surprised. Either way, I rebooted the aircraft and all was good again.

Andy.

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Andy:
    What do you mean "if you have a landing bounce?" You've obviously not seen me land the ALTA. :rolleyes:

The Other Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limitâ„¢
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert