/dist/images/branding/favicon

Roll Servo burning hot?

Discussion in 'Radian' started by olli collins, Dec 28, 2012.

1. olli collins

olli collins New Member

just bought a Cinestar 2 axias gimbal and radians. just setting it up on bench firstly can't get pc to conect to comm port 10. but the more worrying thing is the freefly roll servo is burning hot! i'm using a BEC everything else is fine tilt seems to be ok nothing is hot except the roll which is quite aggressive and really hot almost too hot to touch!

Any ideas

Cheers

Olli

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Olli:
    Which operating system are you running?
    Also, have you installed the virtual COM Port drivers that you'll need to allow the Radian software to communicate with the Radian sensors?

As for the servo getting that hot, something is seriously wrong. Remove the belt from the servo and see what it does. You may even want to swap it over with the tilt servo just as an experiment to tell you whether the problem is with the servo.

Thanks
    Andy

3. olli collins

olli collins New Member

tried removing belt, tried other radian, other resistor, Servo seems really jerky and gets super hot it's brand new so i'm guessing it's a faulty servo, the wires are not hot just the casing.

I'm running windows 7 on a net book, i'm a mac man hate pc's!! :) i've managed to get the comm port to 10 but software still doesn't see radians.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I think you're right, the servo should NOT be getting that hot -- it implies that it's sucking a lot of current. Can you hand turn the servo (the gearing's pretty high) or has it seized?

If you're running Windows 7 then I presume you are seeing the USB Serial Device in the Device Manager, right? Just checking the chain of the things that could be wrong....

Are you by chance running Mikrokopter Boards with an MK USB adapter? If you are, then I can walk you through a simple loop back test that will tell us whether the COM port really is working....

Andy.