/dist/images/branding/favicon

Alta 8, just delivered, FPV?

Discussion in 'ALTA 8' started by Larkin Carey, Jul 9, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Larkin Carey

Larkin Carey Member

New Alta 8 just delivered yesterday, everything is working snazzy except the FPV. I'm not getting any video signal to the tx. Is there something in the Synapse I need to turn on or connect to get video and OSD out?

I've swapped vTx, vRx, and FPV camera. I'm definitely getting connecting between the tx and rx, and on the correct channel, just no video signal or overlayed data from the flight controller.

Cheers!

Larkin

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Check in the GUI and make sure the camera is set to the proper format. NTSC or PAL. Also post the brand and resolution of the camera you are using. Cameras of 700 lines resolution will work. Higher than that won't process through. And lower has also been reported to be an issue. If you connect the camera directly to the transmitter, not through the Alta, does it work?

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Gary: Faint memory -- didn't you find that sometimes you had to disable and then re-enable the FPV to get it to work?

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

4. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Andy you are correct. Turning off FPV and then back on did resolve some issues. But without knowing the camera specs I would suspect it's the camera resolution.

5. Larkin Carey

Larkin Carey Member

Hey Gary, Andy. the camera is ReadymadeRC (RMRC700XVN) and yes, I have it set to NTSC which is correct for Colorado (we're not that different).

This is the equipment that ships wth the Alta 8, and was setup by Freefly initially before sending to me, as it's a new system.

The second camera I tried is the Lumenier CU-690 Ulta which should also be under the 700px, and works great on one of my custom heavy lifts.

Is turning off the FPV and back on as simple as flipping the slider switch in the app? I did read that note you had about that in a different post. Thanks for the help guys.

And no, I have not tried running the camera directly into the transmitter. Fun learning the nuances of a new system, but damn, my first instinct is to tear open the Alta and see if the other end of the cable came unplugged in shipment. Will try not to do that :) #voidswarrantee.

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

#voidswarranty indeed!
    EDIT : Oh...sorry, misread your posting Larkin : yeah, toggle it on and off in the app.

If it works, then kudos to Mr. Haynes for discovering the fix. I merely repeated his wisdom. :)

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

7. Larkin Carey

Larkin Carey Member

dang! no other ideas? this seems to be the limit of the weekend outside the box troubleshooting. I'll need to chat with freefly tomorrow...

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Yeah, sorry....if its a new system that you ordered with FPV from FF, then open up a ticket by sending email to support@freeflysystems.com.

Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

9. Larkin Carey

Larkin Carey Member

cool. I filed a ticket. I'll update this thread if it's something that would be useful to the community.

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Yeah, please do....especially if it turns out to be (cough, cough) "operator error!" It'll help someone else from making the same mistake! :)

Andy.

The Ground Is The Limit™

11. Larkin Carey

Larkin Carey Member

I hope it is! those are the easiest to fix.

12. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

If you do the turning on and off shutdown the Alta between settings. Without that I wasn't able to make the process work. your camera should be good but worth checking a direct connection.

13. Larkin Carey

Larkin Carey Member

Final Update: Freefly located the issue and categorized it as "intermittent faulty cable." It's been fixed and returned to me without any issues since. I'd say this is 1-off issue, and slipped through the tight cracks of FF QC. Thanks for all the help, we definitely checked everything possible outside the "warrantee-voiding black box."

Happy Flying!

14. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Glad to hear you got the ALTA back. Yeah, intermittent faulty cables can drive you nuts. I had one the other day were it was fault crimp fitting of the connector -- the crimp had a small filament of insulation in there. I complained bitterly to the manufacturer, but unfortunately it was me. :rolleyes:

Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™