/dist/images/branding/favicon

Bluetooth can't find Movi M5

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Dave Bookhout, Jun 18, 2016.

1. Dave Bookhout

Dave Bookhout New Member

I just got rid of my ronin and bought a used Movi M5, turned it on and tried to find it in my bluetooth preferences on my macbook pro but it is not displayed as a discoverable bluetooth device. Can anyone offer any advice on how to make the Movi discoverable so i can see it on my macbook or let me know if there are any other troubleshooting steps that i can take. I'd really appreciate it.

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Dave:
    When you power up the M5 (with the M5 kept motionless), after about 15-20 seconds which of the three LEDs are illuminated?

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

3. Dave Bookhout

Dave Bookhout New Member

All 3 led's are illuminated green.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hmm. That suggests the M5 is ok. Do you happen to have any other Bluetooth devices you could try? e.g. an iPhone? I've seen the problem on MacBook's before where they'll not recognize devices. The other option would be to try turn BT off on the Mac Book, restart, and then turn it back on it. Seems crazy to have to do this kind of thing, but, on the bright side, no ritual sacrifice of goats are required. :rolleyes:

At least not yet.

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

5. Dave Bookhout

Dave Bookhout New Member

Haha. The goat sacrifice may be next. I have tried two different MacBook Pros and an iPhone. No luck.

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

That seems to eliminate the possibility that Mac OS/iOS is the problem.
    Change of plan: forget the goat. Email to support@freeflysystems.com and see if they have any ideas.

I presume the person who sold it to you didn't have this problem?

Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

7. Dave Bookhout

Dave Bookhout New Member

Freely thinks it's an issue with the internal Bluetooth. I bought a wifi module but do any of you know if there is a way to get the wifi module setup without the Bluetooth? I have a shoot tomorrow and really need to get this working. I'd really appreciate any help you can offer.

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

"I'm sorry Dave, you cannot do that." (Sorry....sorry....I'm sure you've heard that a bazillion times from Kubrick's 2001 classic line).
    Seriously, I don't think you can set it up without BT -- do you have access to anyone with another M5 with working BT? Maybe that end-around play might work?

Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

9. Dominic Eder-Smigura

Hey Dave! In case you have not resolved this yet: I searched quite a while using bluetooth as well, until the freefly support told me that I have a Movi with Wifi preinstalled.

Dominic

10. MoVI M5's do not have WiFi. They have Bluetooth only. WiFi enabled MoVI's only apply to certain M10's & M15's.

11. Ben Gibb

Ben Gibb New Member

FWIW I have much better Bluetooth connectivity luck with my MBP if I take my M5 out of my office where there are a bunch of other electronics.