/dist/images/branding/favicon

Alta is not able to Fly Epic and Mini

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by alexandre ermel, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Zoran Petrovski

Zoran Petrovski New Member

Alta + cinema gear = NO
    Alta + indie cinema gear =YES

:)

Ozkan Erden likes this.
  2. Olly Meacock

Olly Meacock New Member

Scarlet W will save a bit of weight allowing for a cine lens...granted still not up to Leo Bund's rig though :)

3. Jose Luis Ocejo

Jose Luis Ocejo Active Member

Ok so the issue is exsess heat building on the ESC under the motor my understanding is that the Alta motor ,all metal mount acts as as heat sink correct? im sure the FF engineers went in extent on this, but if adding some kind of curved custom heat sink fins around the edge of the mount directly in contact with some of the down prop airflow would help dissipate some of the excess heat, would that help?
    I know FF does not want or recommend any end user modification to the Alta, it may be an idea that FF may look in to

Dimitar Krustev likes this.
  4. Chris Lethbridge

Chris Lethbridge New Member

So what's the general consensus? ALTA + Red/Alexa Mini a realistic idea? Or should one use a X8 heavy-lift or equivalent?

5. Adam Varadi

Adam Varadi Member

I would recommend some kind of X8.
    Loved the ALTA but it's for small cameras only. We can argue about the numbers but this is fact. In cinema there are no compromises regarding the camera/lens/LCS setup.
    I bought the Hammer X8, flew it around 100 times since Dec 12. and love it. It carries 8 kg gimbal setup for 13 min without problem. (2x 16.000)

6. John Santry

John Santry New Member

We use the Aerigon Mkii for our heavy lifting. It has a max CAMERA payload capability of 20 pounds, and still maintains a 2:1 thrust to weight ratio at max camera load. I love our Alta 6's but they are really just for flying bigger DSLR packages. I agree with most of you in this thread that the original marketing was misleading. And now with the Alta 8, for a few thousand more you can get an Aerigon, so I don't see the sense in spending that much for a bigger Alta that still limits you to about 12-15 pounds of camera. Our typical camera package is about 17 pounds (RED Dragon Carbon, Canon 15-47 cinezoom, Paralinx Tomahawk, RT Motion FIZ). there is no way that would mount on an M15. And we fly all that with 3 16,000s and end up getting about 11 minutes close to sea level (LA area). Hope this helps!

7. Rory Hinds

Rory Hinds Member

I had no issues flying my Red Dragon, 17-35mm Nikon, 2 x Lens gears (Iris & Zoom), VND filter with the MoVi M15 on my ALTA6.
    I would get around 8 minutes flying time with 2 x 10,000mAH flying at around 3000 feet ASL

John Santry likes this.
  8. Bryan Edmonds

Bryan Edmonds Chief Mōvi Whisperer

John, no doubt the Aerigon is an awesome looking machine!

Based on the specs listed on the site (0°C/SL), it can lift 50lbs AUW. The drone itself, with batteries, weighs 24lbs, leaving 26lbs for camera payload and gimbal. Their gimbal, with battery weighs 10.4lbs, leaving 15.6lbs for the camera payload.

I might be missing something here.. Are you running a custom configuration that allows you 17lbs on your Aerigon setup?

Humberto Barchini likes this.
  9. John Santry

John Santry New Member

Interesting. Those are Mk1 specs. The Mk2 is out now. Looks like they haven't updated specs on the website or something.

You're correct... 10.4 empty weight on the gimbal. Copter weighs 24 with 10,000s. That leaves 20 for the camera payload. AUW for the Mk2 with performance arms is 55 pounds. That technical spec sheet on their site shows the endurance arms in the drawing so I think the 50 pound limit they advertise there is only for the endurance arms MK1 configuration. Technically.. the Aerigon Mk2 can fly heavier than 55 (They won't tell me how much heavier!!), but they only say 55AUW to keep people from overloading and flying heavier than the FAA will allow.

10. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Aerigon has some interesting aspects. But in this day and age I am surprised that they don't have pricing on their website.

Humberto Barchini likes this.
  11. Mike Fortin

Mike Fortin Member

There is pricing on the Aerigon website, if I remember correctly it was $69K or so.

12. Guillaume MARION

Hi there,

I agree that combo witch are shown on pictures on ALTA 6, are for sure up to 13,6.
    But if you check on the website you can also read "useful load = Payload + batt = 9,6kg " then with the alta it's 14,1kg takeoff weight!
    Scroll down to "build to perform"
    http://freeflysystems.com/alta-6/agile

To give you my experience with alta : Still original firmware

1/ Last week :

Conditions :
    Honduras / Utila island / 32 - 34° in shad (probably more as the ALTA was not flying in shad!) / sea level

Set up :

ALTA / 4x4500 / M15 / CONNEX / 4S5000 / WEAPON / CP2 / CLIPON / 2 Filters = 13,7kg

Landing at 21,6 - 21,8V Loaded / 8"30 / motor temp in the chart 57 - 61°C

2/ Trip before

NEPAL / UP to 3900m 15-25°

SET up :

ALTA / 2X4500 / M5 / CONNEX / A7S2 / METABONE / ZEISS 21mm = 10,1kg

Landing at 21,6 - 21,8V Loaded / 7"30 / motor temp in the chart 45 - 53°C

3/ Previous one :

ANTARCTICA / sea level / 0 - 15°C

ALTA / 4x4500 / M15 / CONNEX / 2xfreefly batt / DRAGON / CP2 / automatic flotation = 13,9kg (was the first job, will not fly that load anymore, but was working well)

Landing at - 21,8V Loaded / 8" / motor temp in the chart 45 - 50°C

13. Jose Luis Ocejo

Jose Luis Ocejo Active Member

Hi Guillaume do you have a picture of your Alta6 setup how long or how short is your EC5 "Y" harnes conector to connect the 4x4500 lipos
    thanks for your valuable info