/dist/images/branding/favicon

BMCC 4K on Alta 6 setup

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by Ryan Brooksbank, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Ryan Brooksbank

Ryan Brooksbank New Member

Hi all,

I'm interested in setting up an Alta 6 rig with the BMCC 4K camera and was hoping to hear from some others who have done the same. Specifically:
    1. Is an M5 sufficient or is an M15 required? (Considering I'd be adding an Conenx HD downlink which would require an SDI-HDMI converter, as well as a 4S lipo to power camera and accessories).
    2. How is the camera being powered? Given the non-removable battery in the BMCC is horrible, it makes sense to feed a lipo to it. Can this be done from the extra 4S movi battery? Would running a cable from this battery with JST female to the BMCC connecter input (sorry don't know the name of this) work, or would this impede the movement of the gimbal?
    3. What HD downlink are people using? Is anyone using Connex HD and if so, where are you mounting the transmitter and how are you converting the SDI output to HDMI? In another thread I saw some photos of a nice rig on an M5 with a custom backplate and teradek transmitter, but I need some range and I'd prefer to keep the cost down with a Connex.
    4. Is anyone controlling the camera remotely? I'd suppose adding any mechanical control, such as a focus puller would then necessitate an M10 or M15. Is there anyone out there controlling the camera electronically? I'd love to be able to control the iris and start/stop record via the LANC. Can LANC easily interface with PWM or S-BUS? This is all probably way above my head though!
    Thanks to anyone for your help. Would love to see some photos of different rigs as well if you've got them!

Cheers,
    Ryan

2. Jeancarlo Ferrando

Jeancarlo Ferrando New Member

M5 and Alta 6 with 4k BMCC + connex.
    I bought 5 months ago and all this time was in adjustments.
    I think it is now ready. I will upload a video this week so you can see.
    Connex under pan engine. I do not lanc yet.
    The camera is connected to a lipo when I land.
    Finally I modified the dampers plate for the movi, stock dampers never worked for me, I always had vibrations and spasms in the wind.
    Now the wind moves the Alta and the gimbal moves smooth or stabilizes well as a z15 and my GH4.

Attached Files:

3. Ryan Brooksbank

Ryan Brooksbank New Member

Thanks Jeancarlo, I'd love to see some footage.

I've heard it's quite challenging to balance the BMCC 4K, what lens are you using? And how are you converting the SDI output to HDMI for the Connex?

Thanks,
    Ryan

4. Jeancarlo Ferrando

Jeancarlo Ferrando New Member

A small converter from sdi to hdmi 5v.
    The balance is a real problem, you need to add weight to balance the roll because I cannot slide the roll bar and freefly dont sell this part.

5. Stefan Helborg

6. Rick Surad

Rick Surad New Member

Hey Jeancarlo!

Im curious what you did to modify the dampner plate. Can you post any pics?

Thanks!

7. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

Balancing the BMCC4K with M5 is quite time consuming. Since you can't adjust the roll bar from the motor side unlike the M10/M15, you need to add counter weight to free the SDI out connector.

If you are flying primarily with BMCC4K, I'd recommend you to go with bigger gimbal. But, if you are going to fly not that regulary, I think you can bear the pain of balancing :))

One recommendation for balancing BMCC4K on M5: You can put some weight inside the booms of side roll bars with double sided tapes.

8. Stefan Helborg

One really bad thing I have learned with BMCC4K is that the house is really heavy, even compared to the new RED. Therefore you get quickly up to max weight, and now that summer is coming, then ALTA light it's red ESC warning lamp immediately :-(