/dist/images/branding/favicon

Batteries

Discussion in 'MōVI M15' started by Dan Wilson, May 6, 2016.

1. Dan Wilson

Dan Wilson New Member

Has anyone experimented, or is it even ok, to use different batteries?

It'd be nice to know from a Freefly tech the tolerances of the motors in the M15 and the recommended battery values. Would a higher voltage increase the speed of panning and tilting for instance?
    I'm guessing a higher Ah would prolong the life without any other issues?

Please don't tell me to ONLY use the batteries bought from the Freefly store either!

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

The MōVI does not know where the electrons are coming from Dan, but check with FF (email to support@freeflysystems.com) before you use higher voltage batteries. AFAIK the MōVI is only rated for 4S Lipos.

Certainly the higher amp/hour rating means that the batteries will provide power for longer, but, you may get to the point of diminishing returns as those batteries will weigh more -- and that will reduce the flight time.

I would just recommend that you use top quality batteries -- the bane of the LiPo battery is cheap batteries. Don't keep them charged for too long (eg. no more than 48 hours), and certainly don't allow them to get below 3.0 volts per cell, otherwise you will have LiPo paperweights.

Andy
    ----------
    Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

3. Dan Wilson

Dan Wilson New Member

Yeah, we are definitely on top of the quality and knowledge aspect of batteries. I'm not one for going cheap anyway. I've heard a few horror stories about Li-Pos to risk getting cheap ones.

It's good to know, thanks! Weight isn't too much of an issue seeing as though our M15 only goes on a Tero. But I still see your point.
    We are looking to get rid of the Movi battery eventually anyway but it's nice to know other options.

Anyone else out there experimented with batteries?

4. Mike Reid

Mike Reid Member

Dan, I have been using 1800mah tattu 4s batteries in my movi and they have been great. Long life, and it may just be in my head but it seems like better performance (although my original movi batteries are getting pretty old)

I also use thesecone battery holder to power epic/Alexa mini off of a second one. Almost exactly the same size as the original movi battery. No play in the holder at all.

In my m10 I had been using the pulse 2250mah 4s, but they are a bit too big for the m15, even with the foam removed from the holders.

5. Dan Wilson

Dan Wilson New Member

Thanks for the share, interesting having a lower mAh. I suppose it depends on what type of stuff you are subjecting Movi to, to how long it lasts.
    We are looking at getting some Overlander 2900mAh batteries, should last longer and they should just about fit in the cage.

How long do you get powering the Arri/Red from one of those batteries? We currently have a rather messy set up of a cable coiled round the base of the Movi (on a Tero) getting power from a big V-Lock. But we are powering quite a bit of stuff though.

6. Mike Reid

Mike Reid Member

@Dan Wilson I am leaving a lipo alarm connected to the battery so that it will sound at 3.6V per cell and have been getting about 20-22 minutes from each battery. I only do this when I am flying the camera on the UAV, if I am just using the movi I will run a thin power cable to a dtap splitter velcroed to the top of the camera to power all of the accessories (follow focus, monitor etc), then a female dtap extension back to either a back pack or battery plate for a v lock that is mounted to a WK slingshot etc.

I bought a big roll of 14ga silicone wire in red/black and braided nylon sheath to make all of my various power cables out of to keep them flexible and just long enough to keep them tidy.

Jim Denault likes this.
  7. Patrick Rebstock

Patrick Rebstock New Member

so you guys have been using larger 4s 14.8v batteries with out issues? spoke with freefly today and they said the batteries had to have the same discharge rate of 3c con and 5c peak. I take it that is not the case?
    thanks
    patrick

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Patrick: I've responded to your posting here: http://forum.freeflysystems.com/ind...s-batteries-for-rapid-charge.5818/#post-71149

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert