/dist/images/branding/favicon

Shipping Large Lipo's Domestically in the U.S.

Discussion in 'Batteries & Power' started by Jonathan Ross, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Jonathan Ross

Jonathan Ross Member

Hi Gang,

We had to do some research to find out info on shipping our 10,000 mAh Lipo's by Air from Seattle to Miami. We used UPS and here are some of the basic rules that apply. Just a heads up, if you can get them shipped prior to 5 days before you need them you can save a ton by shipping them rail.

- Each package can only contain 2 10,000 mAh 6 cell Lipo's
    - Batteries should be set to store voltage
    - Cords should be taped off to the batteries
    - Lipo's should be packaged to withstand a drop from 1 meter ( we added tons of bubble wrap and packed boxes
    with even more bubble wrap, could have dropped them off the roof )
    - Each box contains only 2 batteries each.
    - UPS Hazardous material sheet must be filled out for each box ( call ahead make sure your store has them, if not
    you can download them )
    - Attach 4" Hazardous Material Stickers ( call ahead to check availability, these can also be downloaded but you need
    color ink as parts of the sticker MUST be red )
    - Insure for total cost of goods
    - Total cost to send 10 10,00mAh 6 cell Lipo's on a 3 day rush ( 5 boxes total ) ...$284.00 insured and shipped

If you have any questions regarding domestic shipping drop me a message.

Cheers,
    J

2. Larkin Carey

Larkin Carey Member

Awesome. Great info J! After a few recent, and increasingly often "discussions" with TSA I'm very interested in the battery future for all of us. Specifically wading through conflicting regulations internationally is becoming increasingly difficult.

Looking into the formal regulations it appears we are not actually able to carry on or check any Lipo's over about 6000maH and in that case we are only allowed 2X batteries. It's just a matter of time before TSA gets their regs straight at all levels and someone gets a pelican full of lipo's confiscated at security.

So... shipping large batteries (I fly 2X16000mah each flight on the Cinema rig) is the next avenue I'm looking into. Has anyone done that internationally? I haven't found anything concrete yet on my search, if it is possible, how many can be shipped, how long it takes, and how much it costs.

Hopefully no one has been forced to figure this out yet.

Larkin

3. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Larkin you might try FedEx. Tell them what you want to ship and where and let them, in turn, tell you what the regulations are to be able to ship.

4. Jonathan Ross

Jonathan Ross Member

Bet of luck please let us know what you find on international shipping.

5. Larkin Carey

Larkin Carey Member

International shipping has just gotten a lot harder. We have 8x 16000s in Australia that we shipped there in December, and apparently the regulations have changed and won't allow them to be shipped back. What are teams doing for international jobs in 2016? Still carrying them on?