/dist/images/branding/favicon

M5 with 7008sb and 14sg

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Chris Delaney, May 3, 2016.

1. Chris Delaney

Chris Delaney Member

Support asked me to check all the things you did And . They also asked me to downgrade fw because they won't trouble shoot on a beta. Still, even with the older fw I could not get it to work. A friend of mine couldn't get it to work with the 7008sb either and he ended up using a 2008sb. I only have 7008's. I just took that 7008 I was trying on my movi and stuck it back on one of my rigs and it's working fine.
    I will have to pickup a 2008 or a 6208 like Alex recommended. As for this weekends job, we will use the spektrum.
    The whole reason for switching to the 14sg is to standardize on one controller for our business. All pilot and cam-op radios the same. Only one controller to use, only one type of battery and charger to stock, only need to have a spare 14sg rather than spares of everything.

Problem is not solved but I certainly appreciate your effort. Thank you.

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Sorry to hear that you're no further along -- your strategy seems perfectly valid. I don't know whether any other forum members have converted to using Futaba for the gimbal -- I think Jeff Scholl at Quadrocopter has (based on a video on QC's web site), but if there were problems he didn't identify them.

Good luck with the shoot.
    Andy.
    ----------
    Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

3. Jeff Scholl

Jeff Scholl Distributor

Hello,

I have used Sbus2 from the 7008SB on our M15 to include the latest Akira.

Best,
    Jeff

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Ya see, Chris, Jeff's like a Super Hero....I just have to mention his name on the forum and, shazam, he appears and posts the information!

Thanks, Jeff. You da man.
    Did you put the R7008SB in to Mode B?
    Any idea what Chris could try that he's not tried already.

Andy
    ----------
    Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

5. Chris Delaney

Chris Delaney Member

Jeff, since your are one of the very few people Ive heard that made the 7008sb work is there anything you can share? What mode, a b c or d?
    Any information as insignificant as it may be to you may help me and is appreciated.

6. Chris Delaney

Chris Delaney Member

You and I posted at the same time. Lol

7. Jeff Scholl

Jeff Scholl Distributor

Hello,

We didn't have to do anything out of the box except for binding. Perhaps if you have a spare servo sitting around plug it into the 7008SB with a 5 volt battery source to verify it's working. Also it seems you have LOS, but when you go into the charting on the MoVI app do you see any movement on any of the sticks/switches?

8. Alex Shvartsev

Alex Shvartsev New Member

Just tested spare R7008SB with M5 running Akira. It definitely works, no issues with S.Bus or S.Bus2.

9. Chris Delaney

Chris Delaney Member

Wtf. Lol. Please help me out guys. What mode? Anything you can share will be helpful. I was gonna drive 100km tomorrow to buy a different reciever. Lol

I don't want to get greedy but even your futaba profile and or akria profile would help.

10. Alex Shvartsev

Alex Shvartsev New Member

I believe my receiver is set to Mode A (1-8CH). I attached M5 profile.

Attached Files:

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

If you just power it up out of the box, then I believe the R7008SB will indeed be in mode A. You can tell by how many flashes of the red LED in the R7008B you get when you change modes....I'm grasping at straws again Chris, but any chance it's in Mode C or D? I'm trying to eliminate everything...that 100 km drive doesn't sound like fun.

Andy
    ----------
    The Ground Is The Limit™

12. Chris Delaney

Chris Delaney Member

Haha. Ya. And it's 100km across Toronto which makes it 2 hours one way. Lol.

We use the 7008 exclusively in mode b (2 flashes) but you are right. It is set to A from factory. I have tried A and B while trying to trouble shoot this. As I understand it, sbus only works in B and D. B for chanels 1-8 and D for 9 and up.

I would feel better if everyone said "nope, the 7008 will not work" Then I know for sure that a different rx will be worth seeking out. The fact that some guys have had success with the 7008 makes me feel as though I will be wasting time getting another rx.
    BTW, I have a brand new 14sg and 7008sb in box. I tried that today too even know the other ones are working on my other rigs. I've tried different servo cables. I've double and triple checked everything because I know these things are almost always over a stupid detail we overlook.
    I'm gonna give it one last ditch effort in the morning heading out. Hopefully someone can chime in and confirm the proper mode and maybe details of their radio setup.

It's funny how we let these things consume us. I am not gonna give up. Lol.

13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Yeah, the 401's miserable. Not sure the 407's any better, eh?

Andy
    ----------
    The Ground Is The Limit™

14. Chris Delaney

Chris Delaney Member

The 407 would cost $40 round trip. I only used it when work paid for it. Lol

15. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Wow. 407 tolls have gone up since I last lived in Trana.
    I'm going to order up another pair of R7008SB's and see if I can the M5 to work with them. Sadly it will be after your Saturday shoot, but I want to understand what's going on.

Andy
    ----------
    The Ground Is The Limit™

16. Chris Delaney

Chris Delaney Member

Well the tax payers paid for that highway. Then they sold it to some Columbians that I'm sure made their fortune in coffee beans. Lol. Now the prices are insane.

Anyway. Only 3 hour round trip. I was at the store 5 minutes. Picked up a 2008sb. In 5 minutes I had the futaba running the movi. Just like it should. Doh!

17. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Jeez...so it was just the R7008SB that was the problem? Or maybe the MōVI's ability to interoperate with the R7008SB?
    Oh, well, the good news is that you're up and running on Friday!

Andy
    ----------
    The Ground Is The Limit™

18. Chris Delaney

Chris Delaney Member

The fact that I couldn't get the 7008 to work as well as a friend of mine yet others can only leads me to one conclusion and tell me if I'm way off base here. There has to be hardware differences between some units. I tried everything. Multiple known to be functioning 7008's and 14sg's. It was eating me up inside. Lol.

Also, the guys that did get it working, what exactly have they done??? Some guys contribute bits and pieces but never the entire story.

Either way, it's working. I have 3 x 14sgs now. I was gonna sell the spektrum but I think I'll keep that along with the satillite just in case.

19. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Yeah, as the late Gilda Radner said, "It's always something."
    From what Jeff said, he didn't do anything to the R7008SB apart from power it on and link it. So, I have to infer that it was running in Mode A.

Keeping the Spektrum as a backup sounds like a good idea.
    Andy
    ----------
    The Ground Is The Limit™

20. Chris Delaney

Chris Delaney Member

On another note. When akria came out I had to download the new app. (One on the right side) it refuses to write settings. Only way to save settings is to use the older app (left)

Attached Files: