/dist/images/branding/favicon

M5 with 7008sb and 14sg

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Chris Delaney, May 3, 2016.

1. Chris Delaney

Chris Delaney Member

Just switching over from spektrum. I searched the forums and the manual. Zero in the manual about this.

7008sb in mode b. Futaba set to 12 channel. Bound to receiver. connected to m5 via sbus. No idea what to do to get this working. In the app there is Channel mapping. I assume we match the channels to that of the 14sg but nothing is working. Also, there is a toggle button. makes the channel number from a positive to a negative. WTF is that for? lol

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Answering your questions in reverse order Chris:

1. Setting the channel number negative reverses the effect of the control (think of it as a direction toggle).

2. This might help you with the Futaba and R7008SB: http://forum.freeflysystems.com/ind...ng-the-futaba-radio-on-the-alta-6-and-8.7821/ -- that said, it's primary focus is on the ALTA but it may help with Futaba setup.

3. Can you confirm that you have set the M5 to Futaba and the channel mappings on page 04-24 of the M5 manual, please?

Thanks
    Andy

----------
    Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

3. Chris Delaney

Chris Delaney Member

I know the 14sg and 7008 very well. These have been our pilot radios for a long time.
    I have set the movi to "sbus" in the assistant. I have assigned the chanels as per the chart on page 4-23 of the manual. Assigned a switch to channel 5.

Nothing happens when I move the sticks. Been working on this 6 hours now. Lol frustrated.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Chris:
    My apologies....always hard to know how well folks know the Tx and Rx.

I presume you can see the channels are working in the Tx servo monitor?
    Also, can you connect to the M5 via the MoVI App. and look at the radio charts?

Andy.

5. Chris Delaney

Chris Delaney Member

No need to apologize. You are helping me. Just wanted to let you know that I know the futaba platform.

Just to be clear. I am using the android app on my phone for setup. Not a pc. I do not have bluetooth on my pc. Tx servo monitor I suspect is only on the pc version?

6. Chris Delaney

Chris Delaney Member

7. Chris Delaney

Chris Delaney Member

Correction. My laptop does have bt. It just won't see the movi.

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I may have caused some confusion: The servo monitor is in the Futaba Tx. Just wanted to be sure that the Tx is actually waggling signals on the RF channels.

The "charting" capability might well only be on the iOS version of the app. I'm not where I can check that right now.

Andy
    ----------
    Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

9. Chris Delaney

Chris Delaney Member

Absolutely. I always use the servo screen on the futaba. Everything is running how it should. My 3 position switch etc. As far as I can see there is no way to verify in the movi app if it is getting signal. Either the movi responds with a pan or tilt, or it doesn't. In my case, it doesn't. Fml

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I have the Android MoVI app and it shows, under Chart, the option to monitor the radio channels. Are you seeing any activity there, please?

Thanks
    Andy

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Oh....is the transmitter/receiver running on S.Bus2? I think it needs to be S.Bus (the original). That might be the issue....just speculating...

Andy

12. Chris Delaney

Chris Delaney Member

Reciever is plugged into sbus not sbus2 but fyi, I know someone that has theirs plugged into sbus2 and it works. I have tried both. I beside myself on this. Have no idea what is going on. I have a job Saturday and fear this won't be working in tim. Can't see anywhere an option to monitor radio channels.
    Doesn't "los" mean there is no radio connected?
    Maybe I hAve a bad sbus port on the movi. Power and ground is passing but no signal. Who knows. :-(

Attached Files:

13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

On the Android app. if you tap on Charts, you should see a submenu down the left hand side. The lower one is "Radio" -- if you tap on that, then you will see the various radio channels and the signals that the receiver is getting.

And yes, LOS (Loss of Signal) says that the Gimbal Control Unit is not receiving any signal from the receiver. The implications of that are:
    1. The gimbal control unit is set to something other than S.bus, but I believe you've checked that.
    2. You have a bad R7008SB receiver. I'm not sure what options you have to try a different receiver.
    3. The connector to the R7008SB is either in the wrong port or is bad (verify that the connector is in the S.bus connector that's at right angles to all the other connectors). The connector is polarized so you should not be able to insert it incorrectly. That eliminates that (I hope!)
    4. The R7008SB is not properly linked to the transmitter (maybe) -- but I think you've checked that too.
    5. The transmitter has failed. I've not heard any reports of this being a problem, but we cannot rule it out.

If you could connect up to the M5 with your Android app and read the settings from the M5 and then save the settings and post the settings file, I'm happy to double check its contents and see if I can see anything wrong.

Also if you want to take an image of the way that the R7008SB is connected to the gimbal control unit, I can visually double-check you.

Finally: Have you opened up a support ticket with Freefly themselves? Email to support@freeflysystems.com -- reference this thread by URL to save yourself a bunch of typing.

Andy
    ----------
    The Ground Is The Limit™

14. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Afterthought: What Android device are you using? I'm using a Google Nexus 7 -- your screen shots suggest its an Android phone. I'm not sure why that should make a difference, but I'm grasping at straws here....

Do you happen to have access to a Mac with Bluetooth?

Andy
    ----------
    The Ground Is The Limit™

15. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Second afterthought: Try changing the R7008SB to Mode A. It means that channel 8 will no longer be S.bus output, but the dedicated S.bus2 connector (at right angles to all the other connectors) will still be functioning.

Andy.
    ----------
    The Ground Is The Limit™

#15 Andy Johnson-Laird, May 4, 2016
    Last edited: May 4, 2016
  16. Chris Delaney

Chris Delaney Member

st : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : For

17. Chris Delaney

Chris Delaney Member

I have a laptop only. it has BT but wont connect. Cannot see the "movi"

18. Chris Delaney

Chris Delaney Member

I have tried this. No change.

Funny thing, when I removed the 7008sb and plugged my Spektrum Satillite back in, the gimbal immediately recognizes it and changes the previous sbus settings over to spektrum. The Spektrum works right away. no need to change settings. When I plug in a 7008, it is not recognized at all. I am doing lots of google research on this problem and the majority of info suggests the 7008sb receiver doesn't even work with the Movi although some info suggests that was fixed in firmware at a later date. I am on Akria, BTW.
    I did downgrade fw last night to see if that was an issue but no change

19. Alex Shvartsev

Alex Shvartsev New Member

Movi doesn't support S.Bus 2 (for use with telemetry sensors), only S.Bus.
    Standard S.Bus receiver like Futaba R6208SB will work just fine.

20. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Chris:
    Sounds to that it may be an issue with the gimbal control unit and S.bus -- seems like you have done everything I can think of...
    I suspect that even if you did have a laptop with BT that would see the MoVI, or a Mac that you could use to run the MoVI App, and thus get radio charting, the odds are that it would simply show that there is no receiver connected.

Sorry I can't be of more help -- any luck with FF tech support?

Andy
    ----------
    The Ground Is The Limit™

#20 Andy Johnson-Laird, May 4, 2016
    Last edited: May 4, 2016