/dist/images/branding/favicon

Vertical Play In Motor

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by Rick Surad, Apr 30, 2016.

1. Rick Surad

Rick Surad New Member

Today I noticed a bit of vertical play in my #4 motor. Its a few millimeters and is the only one doing it.

On other motors I'd take it apart and check the bearings and retaining clips but since these are custom motors I'm not sure if its even possible. Has anyone experienced any vertical looseness before?

Thanks for any insight!

Rick

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

That doesn't sound good, Rick. You're right to hesitate to take the motor apart -- I'd drop an email to support@freeflysystems.com and ask for help.

Andy
    ----------
    Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limitâ„¢
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

3. Rick Surad

Rick Surad New Member

Thanks Andy! I went ahead and sent an email to them. However the idea of sending it off to Freefly is daunting so was hoping it was easy fix and someone here knew the trick. lol

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I hear ya! The problem is that I've not heard or seen any reports of a problem with the ALTA motors -- so I hesitate to suggest that you take the motor apart yourself as though it was some third party motor.

Andy
    ----------
    Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limitâ„¢
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

5. Rick Surad

Rick Surad New Member

Sadly that's my thought exactly. I appreciate your voice of reason.

I'll post the verdict for others when I find out what's up.

Humberto Barchini likes this.
  6. Rick Surad

Rick Surad New Member

So after a little over two weeks of downtime, I finally got my ALTA back today. Here's a little update of how the warranty process went....

Freefly looked at a video of the problem and said a little play is normal but mine seemed excessive, they suggested not flying it. So... I packed it up, paid to ship it them, and waited. Freefly had it in their possession for 1 week, during which time, they swapped out the faulty motor (they didn't say what happened to it), checked everything else, and did the ESC update since I hadn't done it yet. Once it was all done they covered the return shipping and sent it back. There wasn't any paperwork in the case when I got it back but the motor was definitely fixed!

Despite the long downtime I must say that it's nice that Freefly stands behind their gear and will fix it when there's a problem. Now I can't wait to get it back in the air!