/dist/images/branding/favicon

"Drone" hits A320 on Approach to LHR (Heathrow)

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Andy Johnson-Laird, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Kurt Wallrath likes this.
  2. Kurt Wallrath

Kurt Wallrath Member

Thanks for sharing Andy. Hopefully the footage from the drone is salvageable.

3. Andrew Griffiths

Inspectors reported no signs of damage or even a scratch to the A320 airframe, which to me sounds like there was no impact. At 140-250knots you would expect at least a scratch, no matter what the size of the alleged drone was.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Very true, Andrew. Please post anything if you see CASA starting to over-react to this kind of report.

Thanks
    Andy
    ----------
    Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limitâ„¢
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

As far as I can tell the sUAV was not recovered.
    But, had it happened here in the USA, doubtless if the sUAV were recovered, it would have an FAA registration number of on it that would lead directly to the pilot. Right? :rolleyes:

Andy.
    ----------
    Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

6. Kurt Wallrath

Kurt Wallrath Member

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Or as Mr. Maller emailed me yesterday:

bag-drone2-800x445.png

Andy
    ----------

Cody Hanthorn likes this.
  8. Harry Mustermann

Harry Mustermann New Member

I think this is all fraud. Imagine an Airbus pilot flying with 200knots approaching the landing stripe. The sight downwards is very limited in the cockpit and I doubt that those stories are true. There are thousands of bird accidents every year. There is no report of a plane crash caused by this nor is it by a drone. Even an Alta would do no harm to an Airbus.

9. Andrew Griffiths

Not sure I'd agree with you Harry. Plenty of bird strike reports with several downed aircraft. We hit a fruit bat in an R44 the other day and had to make a forced landing. I think a lipo powered Alta would do significant damage to a turbine engine and or the cockpit of an aircraft. Let's hope drone pilots have enough sense to stay well clear and we'll never have to find out.