/dist/images/branding/favicon

Alta 8 vs X8

Discussion in 'ALTA 8' started by Roman Bugovskiy, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Roman Bugovskiy

Roman Bugovskiy New Member

Hey guys,

Looking for some input on the new Alta 8. Considering making the investment but not sure if the difference between it and our current set up is worth it.

At the moment we're flying a gryphon dynamics X8 pro frame 1200mm with Kde 5215xf-435 motors, 75 amp kde escs, wookong m, 4 x 10000mah bats and ronin as the gimbal. Take off weight ranges from 19-25 kg depending on the payload.

After doing a few jobs on the new inspire raw I find it hard going back to the heavy machine.

It just doesn't feel as locked in and doesn't give me the confidence to do some of the crazier stuff that the inspire does no problem.

I realise that the wookong is pretty dated now but is the Alta 16k better? Should I look into a different flight controller or bite the bullet and get the Alta?

If I knew the Alta would give me the same confidence as the inspire for heavy cameras I'd get it in the morning.

BTW we are getting an m15 to replace the ronin.

Any thoughts and suggestions welcome.

Best
    Roman

daniel clarke likes this.
  2. Guillaume MARION

Hi There, don't get the ALTA 8 but can give you my feeling about the ALTA. Got it from automne, worked with it only in extreme conditions as Antartica, indoor in one of the most protected castle in France and Himalaya soon in Norway.
    I can tell you that flying a big combo need confidence and the ALTA give that feeling, I flown under snow, up to 3900 and then as you know and respect the limits it's performing like no other.

Also one important thing, you can bring it every where, and the best result will be with 4x4500, then in high altitude or indoor you can fly with only 2batts for light combo as A7S. Also this platform is very efficiency, At 3900 still getting 7mins for 10,1kg at take off with only 2x4500.

Don't hesitate to ask for more feedback, Really appreciate the ALTA and our INSPIRE witch will be soon upgraded to RAW as Back up in the field!

3. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

I think no other big machine will give you the same confidence as Inspire 1 since you will be carrying much more expensive equipment. The risk you take with Inspire is so small, thus you have more peace of mind.

4. Roman Bugovskiy

Roman Bugovskiy New Member

Thanks for the feedback folks. It's definitely some food for thought.

We might go down the route of updating the flight controller and see how it behaves. I have complete confidence in the KDE motor/esc....they have been rock solid for years. I just wish the flight controller behaved a little better. Especially in wind....Maybe freefly will release the synapse to the public to fit on other machines

5. Davis DiLillo

Davis DiLillo New Member

Careful with 5215s and gryphon frame.

I threw a prop and the imbalanced motor ripped apart the gryphon coaxial motorounts.

Just a heads up.

6. Pablo Barrera

Pablo Barrera Member

Everyone I know flying x8 configurations in heavy loads uses either the Wookong M or believe it or not the NAZA V2. The A2 in a coax configuration drops a lot in forward flight...easily countered by more throttle but it can get a little wonky. I have personally seen a NAZA on a flat octo configuration handle 23LB payload 1 motor out with 20 knot winds over the water with no problem, the motors were the kde 5215 with 18inch props. It belongs to friend of mine. When I take that thing up, I am flying with the confidence I fly the inspire with. It sounds ridiculous to even say that a $400.00 flight controller would give you that...but it does. I have yet to see an ALTA 6 or 8 fly full load with a motor out. I have flown the ALTA for clients before and it's great, but at that price ill stick to building my own and not have to wait for a turn around time if something goes bad.

7. Thai Christen

Thai Christen Member

I can confirm that NAZA V2 can be done in X8 or flat octo without any issues. There is a guy here is Switzerland, he showed me his self build monster X8 with Naza 2 configuration which can lift 2x Red Epics and heavy PL cine lens (3D). Sounds crazy.

And Yes, for the price of an Alta 8, I rather have 2x self build X8 plus 2x modified Mövi M5!!
    (This is my setup I have been using for the last 18 months, with Wookong FC. Rock solid).

#7 Thai Christen, May 26, 2016
    Last edited: May 30, 2016