/dist/images/branding/favicon

Freefly Alta 8

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by Neil Cain, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Neil Cain

Neil Cain Member

There is an Alta 8 on the Freefly website, having just invested in the original Alta & not even started the motors yet, I'm wondering whether there will be an option for Alta owners to ship their Alta to Freefly for upgrading to 8 arms/props, if that's a possibility??
    Have messaged Freefly support with this query...will be somewhat gutted if this isn't possible...the new Alta 8 will take and additional 10lbs....

2. Olly Meacock

Olly Meacock New Member

maybe a 'go big' option Freefly? Just spend a pretty penny on the Alta (6)....that payload would really make life easier going forward!

3. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

The ALTA 8 looks like a brand new machine. I wouldn't think there'd be a way to "upgrade", as the airframe is very different.

Bryan Edmonds likes this.
  4. Aj White

Aj White Member

Agree, no way for an upgrade. Looks sweet! Of course now regretting jumping on the first Alta because I did get it to fly the bigger cameras.. oh well! Time to save up :/

5. Chris Benny

Chris Benny New Member

I also have a brand new original Alta in the box here and am wondering if they will offer an upgrade pathway or something?

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Chris: I suspect your best bet would be to sell the ALTA 6. Take note of the FF Transferable Warranty -- might help close a sale.

Andy.

7. Neil Cain

Neil Cain Member

As Chris says, selling it on is the best bet unless you have bought it and it's still box fresh, and whoever you bought it from will accept the return within their particular return timeframe. I can confirm there is no option to upgrade it from Freefly unfortunately.

8. Neil Cain

Neil Cain Member

I think anyone making an order for the Alta in 2016 should have been made aware of the Alta 8 out of courtesy...probably not good business for Freefly but I certainly would feel a hell of lot better about this...seems as though (and I might be wrong) that certain companies were aware of the Alta 8 well before people such as myself.

9. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

If you look through the history of the Freefly and Movi they released M10 then released the m15/m5 6months later. They was speculation of new ALTA about 3 months ago. I even saw a monster X8 ALTA Search Freefly Xl in google you see what I am talking about. Its no Surprise to me that it come out at all.

Congrats freefly it looks like a great machine!

10. Jose Luis Ocejo

Jose Luis Ocejo Active Member

Well for me, when I decided to buy a Alta 6, I was fully aware in my mind of the very real posibillity of an Alta 8 a few months in the future I am delighted I made the decision when I did, it is great that now we have an even more powerful mashine

11. Neil Cain

Neil Cain Member

Yes there was always this possibility of a bigger machine, and yes; 'congratulations Freefly, we love you, take our money etc etc' :)

12. Jose Luis Ocejo

Jose Luis Ocejo Active Member

And to ad to my previous thought at the end its all about $$ the way I see it if you are in the need for an Alta class mashine you are very likely doing this professional charging accordingly

13. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

I"m sure that dealers that have a really good relationship with freefly that are privileged to see or even test prototypes have a confidentiality agreement in place. I'm sure the same thing occurred when the Alta 6 was being developed.

14. Neil Cain

Neil Cain Member

For someone just starting out from scratch, from nothing with their first heavy lift drone, trying to make the very best investment for market placement they can possibly make, it's just a little disappointing is all. Of course, all this is fair enough & not a problem, I wasn't surprised by this release either but if you always wait for the 'seemingly imminent release of the next model' you probably won't get much work done, so I too, do not regret investing in an Alta 6. I guess my point is; it would be a nice touch (& this doesn't necessarily apply to my situation) if great companies like Freefly could offer a heads up about new releases to previous customers & people on this forum (for example) if/when they go to make a purchases.

15. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

Dave just go to Quadrocopter.com i always see there posts flying the new toys just after freefly releases them. Hahaha

16. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

I don't think there's anyone better than Jeff to evaluate new gear.

Jeff Scholl likes this.
  17. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

It's high tech, and it's always been this way. The half life of tech gadgets is very short. In the case of business tools, you'd best be able to rapidly amortize your investments. Or just deal with the change. My ALTA 6 is just as functional today as it was a week ago, and as long as Freefly continue their excellent support, it'll continue to pay for itself.

18. Neil Cain

Neil Cain Member

That's good counsel Steve, my UAV grief has been once more reduced ;) I can see more & more that I was a little hasty in choosing to vent my initial disappointment here on the forum! You guys are all a bunch of 'happy campers' and I shall respectfully abide to what I now understand of the Freefly forum. Peace