/dist/images/branding/favicon

Movi Won't Go Limp

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Matthew Justin, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Matthew Justin

Matthew Justin New Member

Hey all,

My Movi works perfectly when on, but when it is shut off, (battery still plugged in) it doesn't "go limp." Therefore, I cannot recalibrate it properly or test the CGs. When I turn the cage up and down or side to side, it does not stay put. Instead, I feel resistance and it wants to return to its native position of just sitting, centered.

I am on Akira firmware and my computer is telling me everything is good.

What should I do?

Thanks,
    Matt

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Matt does it go limp if you unplug the battery? If it does sounds like a bad switch.

3. Matthew Justin

It does not go limp even after I have unplugged the battery. :(

4. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Photos/videos of your setup showing what you are seeing would help. Sounds like something is binding. Have you watched the setup videos on the main Freefly site? Just to make sure that what you are experiencing isn't normal.

5. Ian Rosaaen

Ian Rosaaen New Member

My situation sounds related to this post.

I'm setting up the M5 for the first time. Neither the battery nor the camera have been installed.

Is it normal for the Roll Motor to exert tension on the camera cage? There is force being applied which rolls the cage.

Please see video.

Thank you.

6. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Hi Ian, it's hard to tell from your video, but it's likely that the Movi isn't balanced, and it's naturally going to want to roll toward the heavy Tilt motor. My M15 has a lot of weight on the motor side when there's no camera on. You probably can't even slide the balance to neutral without a camera on there to counter-act the weight of that Tilt motor.

Of course, make sure the cables aren't binding up. Does it make any noise or scratching when you push on the cage?

7. Ian Rosaaen

Ian Rosaaen New Member

Graham:

Based upon your experience (similar to mine), it's natural for the cage to tilt. I just balanced the camera on it and all seems well. Thank you for your input. I appreciate it.

8. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Ian there a number of training videos on the main Freefly site. Might help save you a lot of frustration...

9. Matthew Justin

Hi again. Two *terrible* quality videos that I took to show the problem. What am I doing wrong!? Again, sorry about the terrible quality - hopefully it gets the point across.

10. Graham Futerfas

Hi Matthew, I think your Tilt-Vertical Center of Gravity is not balanced, and that's causing it to snap back. I recreated your problem with my M15, and intentionally set the Tilt CoG low, by lowering the camera cage, and it behaves the same. It wants to snap back in both the tilt and Roll axis.

You may know this already, but this is the video that shows the adjustment:

The problem with this video is that it's for the M10, and doesn't show the way to balance the CoG in the full cage. You loosen the four clamps in the middle of the cage (by the tilt motor) to get it to slide up and down, not at the bottom of the camera.

I'll try to shoot a video and upload it to show what I'm talking about.

11. Roy Mills

Roy Mills New Member

Im no expert, but like the rest said, it all looks fine, all the resistance looks to be due to your movi not being balanced.

watch this tutorial

watch it over and over again until your sick of it ! then try again and again and again .............. you will get it perfect once you understand why its not balanced ;)

Graham Futerfas likes this.
  12. Graham Futerfas

Hi Matthew, I made a quick little video to demonstrate what I'm talking about with the Tilt Vertical Center of Gravity. It could be you have a different problem (since you said you had it balanced perfectly before this started happening), but thought I'd show you how I can recreate a similar issue on my M15.

The PASSWORD to this video is tiltcog

13. It's not balanced properly. Up & Down tilt. Front to back tilt seems ok, it is the up & down tilt. Gravity is working against you.