/dist/images/branding/favicon

Anyone flying the A2 flight control, a little help please

Discussion in 'CineStar FAQ - Tips and Tricks' started by Christopher Simons, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Christopher Simons

I have a Cinestar 8 flat with the DJI A2 flight control and I have flown about ten test flights with it so far. No cameras, just testing flights. It is NOT very smooth as many others have noted. I turn GPS on and it is very jumpy and jittery. I turn GPS off and it is less, but still not very stable. It is controllable, but it takes everything I have and I don't dare look away for even a second. I could really use some assistance with this, so fire away! Ask a question about settings and I will look and get back to you. I would really love to get this thing back in the air. Thanks again!!!

Christopher

2. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

Christopher,
    you dont give us much info about your bird, is it an x8 or flat
    motors props etc pics help with whats going on also

3. Mark Hoffman

Mark Hoffman Active Member

Christopher

Do you have a weight on it to simulate the camera load. DJI controllers do not like extremely light disc loading.

4. Christopher Simons

Jason, I did mention it is a CS8 flat, but you are correct as to the other equipment. I guess I skipped right over the gear and went straight to what it was doing. So, here goes. It is a CS8 flat, it has a Power Hungry PH8 distribution board, KDE Direct 55 ESCs, at this point I haven't upgraded the motors from the stock Quadrocopter motors. I know I should at some point soon and as funding allows they will be, however spec says they're 'OK' for the time being. It has Slo Fly 14 x 5.5 props on the motors. And, without the camera or 2 axis gimbal mounted, it is weighing in at 9.2 pounds. Also, I am using the Spectrum DX8 transmitter and satellites. Batteries, I have 4S 8000 mAh batteries that I am using. I have five and they are aging, so I will be replacing them all prior to any open flights. They are allowing me about 7 minute flight times at this point, so in my mind they are still adequate for closed site testing purposes.

Mark, no, there is no additional weight on the under carriage. If you believe that will help, I will add some weight to simulate the load.

Also to note since my original post yesterday, I had looked at all the gains and they were all at 100. Every one. I have read that you are supposed to edit gain controls in '10' increments, so I edited them to read 110, all except for Vertical. Then, after some scouring in a couple other boards, found the below image of suggested gains for DJI Flamewheels. Now, I clearly know the CS8 is NOT a Flamewheel, but I then amended the gains settings to mimic this chart as a jumping off place. Is this a good idea or should I go back to the 110 setting and moving from there do you think?

Screen%20Shot%202014-04-06%20at%207.49.51%20PM.png

Thanks guys! I really appreciate any insight you may have.

Christopher

5. Mark Hoffman

Chris

I would add the weight and then start with whatever DJI recommends for their S1000 for your gain settings.

Mark

6. Christopher Simons

Mark~

Thank you. I will be flying it tomorrow with the gimbal put back on and a weight to simulate the camera. Heading out to the web now to find suggested gain settings to start with. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks!

Christopher

7. Mark Hoffman

page 24 of the S1000 manual which is on their site

8. Christopher Simons

Mark~

Got it! Thank you very much. I am modifying the settings this morning and heading out to test.

Christopher

9. Mark Hoffman

How did your test flight go?

10. Christopher Simons

Better than the last one Mark, thanks for checking. I was able to get out on Friday afternoon for a little while, but have been grounded the last three days due to wind. We've had sustained winds of 20 mph and gusts to 35. A little high in my opinion to be testing out a new system. It looks as though it is going to be subsiding in the next couple of days, so I'll be getting out to further tweak then. Thanks again for checking! I'll be sure to update with results.

Christopher

11. Mark Hoffman

I have always found that doing the initial tuning of DJI controllers in little to no wind is best. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Mark

12. Jason Herring

Jason Herring Member

Mark , when tuening the flight control, do you tune one axis at a time with the rc or all the gains at the same time?

13. Mark Hoffman

I generally do pitch and roll together then Yaw. Doing it in Basic first then attitude.