/dist/images/branding/favicon

Sony A7sII Constant Jello

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Craig Parry, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Craig Parry

Craig Parry New Member

Hey guys,
    I have read every thread on jello on this forum and I have done everything suggested with a weeks test flying / filming ! I have added 300grams of weight as well to the M5.... Is the Sony A7sII M5 Alta combination just not compatible ?? I have changed Gyro setting to 2 .. I have firmed up the stiffness ... I have run autotune and nothing works.. need help bad!

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

What exposure settings/lens/etc. are you using on the camera?

3. Craig Parry

Craig Parry New Member

Hi Steve ,

I'm using the Sony 16-35mm at 16mm/ axis stabiliser off / 1/160 Sec / f12 / 4K at 100mbs. Cheers

4. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I'd suggest using a ND filter and dropping your aperture to F5.6 or so and your shutter speed to 1/50 (assuming you're shooting 24/25 fps).

5. Craig Parry

Craig Parry New Member

Much appreciated Steve I'll give it a go

6. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

Craig,

I think the 5-axis stabilisation giving a bad result on these new Sony cameras. I would suggest you to turn off 5-axis stabilisation and try again. Even you trun that functionality off, the sensor is like "floating" n its place. So any vibration, wind, wrong stiffness settings effect the A7s-II and A7r-II footage in a bad way.

7. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

What kind of jello are you talking about? I'm assuming this doesn't happen with the M5 handheld on the ground?

8. Tomasz Gladys

Tomasz Gladys New Member

Hi Craig,

I have very similar problem of jello effect with M5+A7SII. Did you find any acceptable settings to solve the problem?

Tom

9. Angus Benson-Blair

Angus Benson-Blair Active Member

Have you tried turning of the camera's own stabilisation/oss? They may be fighting each other.

10. Tomasz Gladys

Tomasz Gladys New Member

Yes. I turned it off, but someone said that in case of lenses 16-35 (it has internal anti vibration system) it's better to turned it on.
    I will try in few days another lens (Nikon 14-24).

11. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

I'd say start by reducing the vibes from the source...balance your props. How are you guys balancing those folding props? Yes, despite what anyone says they do need to be balanced. I bet the majority of the unstable video issues are because of frame vibration from unbalanced props.

12. Angus Benson-Blair

Just been flying our M5 with the A7. We had terrible jello when using the 16-35 and none what so ever using the Batis 25 or Sony 55mm so I think it has to be the OSS.

As for balancing folding blades, you need a jewlers scale that does 0.01g. Weigh each blade and then add tape at the CoG of the lighter blade. Job done. Search something like Helifreak to see how the single rotor guys balance their blades, its exactly the same.

13. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

That covered horizontal balancing, what about vertical balancing? Or is hub centering on those aluminum adapters more precise?

14. Angus Benson-Blair

Because the blades are on hinges, the vertical balancing sorts itself out ie the cog of each blade will directly align itself. The only thing it cant deal with is the cog of the actual metal hub but if they are well engineered, they will be perfectly balanced anyhow.

15. Angus Benson-Blair

Just test flew our 16-35 with the OSS turned off. Perfect. No jello.