/dist/images/branding/favicon

DX8 & AR8000 Not Connecting?

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Josh Kahane, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Josh Kahane

Josh Kahane New Member

Hi everyone,

We're having some Movi problems. Our transmitter (DX8) only connects when it feels like it, i.e about 50% of the time. If anyone offer some clues, that would be great.

Have our Movi M5 with all the channels setup correctly for remote operation. However, we also want to have remote shutter functioning.

Here's what we've done thus far:

1. With our Spektrum AR8000 Receiver powered, connect first DSMX satellite to AR8000 with bind plug in in BND port and bind to our DX8 transmitter by holding the BIND button and powering on.

2. Repeat step one, but this time with our second satellite. This way both satellites are bound to our DX8 via the AR8000.

3. Connect first satellite directly to the Movi via the Spektrum connection.

4. Connect the second satellite to the AR8000 and power them from the Movi. SBUS (Movi) to throttle port (AR8000).

5. From the AR8000 we have our shutter cable running from the relevant channel to our camera.

6. Experience problems!

Let us know if we misstepped at all here. After the Movi is powered on, each time our DX8 is turned on we can see there is a connection of some degree, as we have a solid orange light on both satellites and AR8000. However, sometimes we just don't get any input to the Movi.

Any help diagnosing the problem would be much appreciated.

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Josh, send the question to support@freeflysystems.com. Not sure but I don't think that you can run two ports on the MoVI. (SBUS and Spectrum at the same time. Might work sporadically but not 100% of the time.

3. Josh Kahane

Josh Kahane New Member

Ahh, interesting. I'll send over the details, thanks Gary.

I was under the impression from other users I could use the SBUS for power of the AR8000. I even stripped out the data cable so it is purely power going from the SBUS to the AR8000, to hopefully reduce the posibility of interference.

4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Josh taking out the data cable and using the port only for power was a good idea. Shouldn't have a data issue but still worth the question to support. Might be a conflict issue with the two satellites and AR8000.

5. Josh Kahane

Josh Kahane New Member

Just heard back from Freefly Support. Here is what they have to say:

So thats one path I could follow, but the Start/Stop adapter doesn't seem to be a commonly used among drone operators to my knowledge, hence why I followed the Spektrum receiver path.

If anyone has anymore light to shed on the AR8000 route, let me know. Or at least another way to use a shutter cable with our DX8.

In the mean time, I'm going to try running the current setup direct off the battery, instead of powering via the SBUS to see if that stops the interface.

6. Josh Kahane

Josh Kahane New Member

Latest: Cutting the SBUS connection out of the picture changes nothing. Having nothing connected to the SBUS port and powering our AR8000 direct from the battery instead has caused no change. Problem still persists, so I don't believe there was any interference between the SBUS and Spektrum port when used together.

I'm trying to jumble bits of info together form other users. As an alternative, is it possible to use the AUX port as the shutter with our gentLED shutter cable? This may be an alternative to using a receiver and second satellite. I've been looking into it but can't really find enough info. For example, where is the AUX port on the M5?