/dist/images/branding/favicon

Wookong downgrade to 5.16 issues

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Chris Newman, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Chris Newman

Chris Newman Member

Tried downgrading to 5.16 on my wookong, U7, castle 75amp octo x rig . When I start up the motors The right front top and bottom motors wig out and want to flip the heli. One attempt the motors would not shut off and i had to put my foot on the hub while I set down my transmitter so I could unplug the motors.
    I upgrade back up again and it's solid. Is there something i'm missing?

2. Andy Post

Andy Post Member

Chris,
    I'm trying the same thing, but have been unable to get the older Wookong Assistant to work. It loads, but I get an error code 0 and the thing seems to insist I log on first, but won't accept current username and password.

We're trying to solve an issue wherein the copter will often gain significant altitude when we stop a fast run. At least it's not a loss...but it takes valuable time to get it back down to position for a return run, or alternate take.

I found a thread that said that altitude changes on stopping came in after firmware 5.16, but for the life of me haven't figured out how to do the downgrade.

3. Jason Herring

Jason Herring Member

Chris,
    What's so great about 5.16? Than the latest version?

4. Andy Post

Andy Post Member

Jason,
    This is Andy responding....
    As I mentioned, we have an issue with the copter gaining altitude when we stop at the end of a run. You know how it is trying to research these things. You find bits and pieces of possibly relevant information, lots of which is historical in nature. As you can see, Chris's post is almost two years old.

I'd found another post elsewhere that claimed that after 5.16 these altitude issues appeared. I don't know what Chris' issue was, but it didn't seem to work for him.

I also found a post that said that when DJI first hit the 5.2X there was a buggy firmware, so much so that they recommended people downgrade.

I don't know if all those issues are gone with the current version, only that we have an issue we'd like to resolve, and what little data we've found points to a firmware problem.

5. Shaun Stanton

Shaun Stanton Active Member

I have been on 5.26 for a while without too many issues. I do find that if the altitude gains are off it does seem to have a slight sluggish response on heavy payloads. I have noticed it does dip a little when pressing the pitch down and letting it get speed then it bobbles back up. I notice usually only about a 3 foot change. I usually add increase of 20 to my altitude gain when flying heavy, seems to solve it.

I can say the WKM is not perfect, but man it is less quirky than all the times I was flying my old MK system.

6. Michael McVay

Michael McVay Active Member

Hey Chris. We have put a couple of them on both 5.16 and 5.20 in the past year. Once we loaded the proper assistant we were able to do an "upgrade" that put them back to the firmware we wanted. He have had a lot of success with both 5.16 and 5.20 as have many others. Now I have not looked recently to see if there is something new that would prevent this, but if you are having trouble let me know and I can look further into it.

Andy: Have you tried to log into DJI's website with your user name and password to see if there is something wrong there? I'm sure you know this, but you need to have an active DJI account to use their software assistant (which is why they require the log in).

7. Andy Post

Andy Post Member

Michael,
    Yeah...that's the weird thing. Well...not the ONE weird thing... As soon as DJI WookonM Assistant 1.34 opens, I get a small window that reports "error code: 0" with OK being the only response. So I OK.Then it goes right to the sign in window. I did go to DJI to see if I could login, and did so, making sure I noted what worked there, and was careful to use the same text in the Sign In window on the wokong assistant.

I just get the error code 0 again. I thought that maybe the login credentials might be associated with a particular version of the assistant software, and that my credentials predated this version. But it came up with my current login email, and it wouldn't accept my trying to create a new login either. So I seem to have it a wall.

I suppose in the meantime, I'll try bumping up my gains a bit.

Farting with DJI gains has left a bad taste in my mouth. That's why I'm using the Wookong. I started with the A2 and was adjusting initial gains one day. I was moving in 5 unit increments. Move, test, move test, move test, so I expected to have a lot of warning if gains were getting too far afield. I'd just bumped them up, all was well, then in a split second it turned over and flew itself into the ground. Oh the humanity. I found that I was not alone in experiencing this "phenomenon". and switched to the Wookong which has been by and large just great.

I'll poke at them some more...carefully.

8. Michael McVay

Michael McVay Active Member

Good luck - we have also found 5.20 to be quite reliable.

9. Angus Benson-Blair

Angus Benson-Blair Active Member

The last firmware for Wookong has been rock solid. What hasnt been rock solid is using non Tiger 80A ESCs with U7s. The U7s are very fussy about their ESCs so go with what Tiger recommend. I dont fly U7s anymore but I did for a long time with the right ESCs and a Wookong at 5.26 and it was nothing but the dog's danglies (awesome for the non UK lot here!).