/dist/images/branding/favicon

Where to mount extra LiPo

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Michael Elsegood, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Michael Elsegood

Curios to see where everyone mounts their second lipo battery on the M10 (or M5/M15) - for powering bigger cameras.

When flying the pocket, I mount a second MoVi battery to the roll bar for powering camera, downlinks etc, however looking for a solution to mount a bigger 4000 4S battery for powering Blackmagic Production 4K, Wedge, Tomahawk and accessories. On wider cameras, there is not really a solution I can think of. Roger's double Movi Batt adaptation looks great, however limits to the stock Movi batteries.

I've never actually seen a flying BM4K rig of someone else's.

I'm referring to multi rotor application.

2. Markku Rytinki

Markku Rytinki New Member

3. Michael Elsegood

4. Markku Rytinki

5. jim mundell

jim mundell Member

6. Augusto Alves da Silva

Augusto Alves da Silva Active Member

I would never use so many accessories on a multirotor. Anyway I never fly so long that I need such a huge battery even to power everything. If I fly an heavy camera (RED etc...) I can´t have more than 8-10mns flying time tops. So when I land just change batteries and go back up...I don´t think wedge, tomahawk and camera (if takes off charged) would drain one battery so fast as to needing more while on air.

7. Michael Elsegood

Do you consider Tomahawk and wedge excessive? I consider HD Downlink mandatory, and iris control very important. Can't imagine either of them being a 'luxury' item these days.

When I work with Alexa Mini & Red Epic, I change camera/accersories packs every 3 flights, assuming just a 2 or 3 minute break between flights. Powering up and down camera is frustrating for Camera Assistants who are calibrating focus motors or working on camera between takes, losing video splits etc, not to mention the slight rebalance required every time a battery is re-mounted.

As an operator, the 3 minutes between flight is precious time spent in discussions with a DP or director working on the shot.

8. Markku Rytinki

we have 3x TX60 male connector in the movi. battery can be changed without shutting down movi or camera.

9. Jeff Scholl

Jeff Scholl Distributor

10. Augusto Alves da Silva

Assuming I almost always work hyperfocal on a fying platform I just need a single motor for the iris. During daytime a 25mm-35mm lens @ 5,6-8 doesn´t really need much focus work at the distances we shoot. Anyway it´s up to you the way you work. I prefer flyng longer and lighter (always talking about multirotors of course).

11. Michael Elsegood

I agree with your points here. Its too very rare we shoot closer than hyper focal of a lens. However, the pressure for motors is usually from the DP. They are very disappointed if they can't have iris, thus, I consider it a mandatory 'accessory'

12. Augusto Alves da Silva

Of course all situations are different...but we usually use hyperfocal and a motor with built in receiver for the iris. Like cinegears etc... It would be ideal to have all the bells and whistles but unfortunately we still have some compromises concerning weight mobility and flight times :) Not to mention the European regulations about the 10kgs law. Everything above that is very very well monitored by the authourities.