/dist/images/branding/favicon

Alta is not able to Fly Epic and Mini

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by alexandre ermel, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Rolf Ableiter

Rolf Ableiter Active Member

just one thing to think about:
    the ALTA is the only multirotor i know with such a detailed manual.
    It is all about the conditions you want to fly in.
    i had two selfmade cinestar 8 with wkm and was able to fly my FS100 for about 8-9 minutes with one 10A 5s batterie.
    the first time when i flew one of that machines in the alps for "terra x", i landed after 4 minutes and the my batterie was 3,5V/cell...
    there are thousands of drones out there flying way over their real payload maximum but their owners don't know.
    An ALTA sure can fly an epic or a mini. maybe not in the alps at 30° Celsius. And may you have to figure out how to get the payload limit (using lighter batteries with high C-rate) but IF you do that you are safe.

Roger Fosaas likes this.
  2. Kamil Przybylak

Kamil Przybylak New Member

how can alta fly with RED or Alexa M ?

5kg - Alta (with 2 receivers and FPV camera)
    2,3 kg - RED oraz Alexa mini
    0,35 kg - 4000mah lipo & power cable
    0,640 - Canon 16-35 2.8 lens
    2,84 kg - 2x Tattu 10 000
    2,3 kg - movi M15
    0,3 - freefly landing gear
    0,150 - connex

= 13,55 kg

20-30C and 1000 S.L. - 12,5 kg......

Thank you Freefly!

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi kamel987, welcome to the forum.

I'll let others respond to your posting (I'm only a volunteer), but, in the meanwhile, if it's not too much trouble, would you be kind enough to change your user name to your real first name and last name, please? The reasons for this (and how to do it) are explained here: http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/real-names.497/
    Thanks
    Andy

4. Michael McVay

Michael McVay Active Member

I can not remember without having to look it up, but do you need to count the weight of the flight packs as part of the payload as you did (2xTattu 10,000)? I recall one of the "take homes" from the Golden Ticket delivery was going to be the 15 pound test weight payload that attached into the toad in the hole. In that scenario, the flight batteries would not be counted in as part of the 15 pound payload limit.

5. Kamil Przybylak

https://freeflysystems.com/alta/specs

WEIGHTS
    Maximum Gross for Takeoff1 13.6 kg (30.0 lbs) - (20-30C and 1000 S.L. - 12,5 kg......)
    Maximum Useful Load2 9.1 kg (20.0 lbs)
    Maximum Payload3 6.8 kg (15.0 lbs)
    Typical Standard Empty Weight 4.5 kg (10.0 lbs)

6. Michael McVay

Michael McVay Active Member

Thanks - the difference between the useful load and the payload must account for batteries, etc.

7. Kamil Przybylak

So how to lose a 1kg to be able fly with RED? ( need 12,5kg)
    What about crews like Copter Kids, Quadrocopter, Flaying Dragon Aerial, they fly with RED and Alexa, they have different Alta?, or should we dont care about max payload?

8. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Perhaps they have the Carbon version of the RED?

9. Kamil Przybylak

red dragon - 2,3 kg
    Red dragon carbon fiber - 1,8 kg

10. Rolf Ableiter

my ALTA is 4,6kg with two receivers and FPV.
    If you use 2 7000mAh batteries (http://www.stefansliposhop.de/lipos...SLS-APL-7000mAh-6S1P-22-2V-25C-40C::1452.html f.e) with high C-rate you will loose enough weight to fly the setup - this will give you more netto flight time (but lower single flight time) because of the lighter setup (less power consumption).
    12,36kg with your setup and 11,86kg with the carbon RED

As i said: the only difference between the ALTA and other heavylifter is that ALTA users know the limitation of the system.
    I am sure ALTA will fly with 15kg and more...

11. Kamil Przybylak

What is a flight time on these batteries with RED ?
    Alta could fly more than 15 kg but not on 950 W motors i think .....

12. Rolf Ableiter

i don't know the flight times BUT the setup is lighter and the power consumption of the system is lower.
    this will compensate flight time between bigger batteries (heavier) and lighter ones a bit.

13. Tom Hirschmann

Tom Hirschmann New Member

It's not so much a question if the Alta is capable of lifting 15kg, it should definitely be able to otherwise it wouldn't be able to fly 13.6kg safely. The rule of thumb for any multirotor I've ever built is that it should ideally be able to hover at 50% power at maximum intended payload. That 50% threshold is what keeps a hexacopter/octocopter in the air in the rare case a motor/esc/prop fails and also keeps excessive strain off those components. Regardless of which setup you fly, finding out the performance threshold is the responsibility of the PIC. If it's a custom build, tools like eCalc.ch work great to determine potential performance before you buy anything.

That's where the disconnect between the Alta's real world and marketed performance comes into play. The marketing shows the Alta maxed out in ideal environmental conditions. Unfortunately many of us fly in less than ideal conditions, at altitude, and/or at warmer temperatures. I pre-ordered the Alta/Alexa Mini at NAB after talking to the FreeFly team in detail about the combo. Unfortunately the manual had not be released yet so the real world performance limitations where not available.

Oh well, the ups and downs of being an early adopter in the drone business.

Michael Elsegood likes this.
  14. Kamil Przybylak

Tom,

So do you fly with Alta and Red ?

15. Tom Hirschmann

Tom Hirschmann New Member

Not currently. We still use a pair of large X8 that I built 2 years ago for heavy lift work. Alta currently is flying GH4 most of the time. Working on trimming down the weight of our Alexa Mini/M10 combo between jobs. The Alta is just way easier to work with in terms of transport and setup than the bigger UAS currently are. Unfortunately like other people have mentioned, getting the weight down means making compromises in terms of lenses and lens control and limits where we can fly. Hope we see a larger version of the Alta at NAB this year.

16. Humberto Barchini

OK... let me see... I´m inside the chart... im my country my flight temperature is around 35 Degree celsius... and the altitude above sea level 250 feet.... so if I look in the chart (from the Alta manual) the Alta can fly (safely) with 12,9 Kilos, I´m Flying with 12,3 kilos... and my ESC temperature still surpass 70 degree celsius with ease... and the new firmware estates that you can not fly at that temperature...
    And yes I fly with a red Epic and bla bla... but I think that´s not the point... the point is the weight VS ESC TEMP...
    I don´t now how QC and Freely can fly Alexas mini and red dragon with all that stuff (at least 13 kilos) with the ESC temperature lower than 70 degree celsius...
    I understand that if... there is a chart in the manual that you follow, you can fly safely...
    I really love this bird... but I will love it more if I can have peace of mind flying it...

Humberto Barchini - FlycamPy - Asuncion Paraguay
    AOMP Pilot No. 002

Attached Files:

• Alta.png
      Alta.png
      File size:
      117.1 KB
      Views:
    Michael Elsegood likes this.
  17. Rolf Ableiter

for me the ALTA is perfect together with my Sony FS5 and Zeis 16-35 lens (1,84kg with lens and BPU60).
    my total weight with this setup is 11.4kg (with 2 10000mAh batteries). flight times around 13-15 minutes and above.
    5 minutes to get in the air when i come to a set.

18. Humberto Barchini

Same for me with the A7SII 15 minutes flight time... but as advertised the Alta is capable to fly safely with the declared weight on the manual... I have and S1000 to fly the AS7 and the GH4 ;)

19. Rolf Ableiter

with limited lenses... you won't fly the FS5/Zeiss16-35 with a s1000

but you are right: this thread is about RED and mini :)

Humberto Barchini likes this.
  20. Leo Bund

Leo Bund New Member

Hi Guys, we have lots of FreeFly gear and love it, but for really heavy lifting for a long duration, we use our Aerigon Mk2 from Intuitive Aerials.
    It uses 12 motors with 18inch props and 3 x 16000 Batts and comfortably gives us 12-14mins flight time with an Alexa Mini and Angeniuex Zoom lens, 3 lens motors, matt box, filters etc....