/dist/images/branding/favicon

Alta M5 image stability

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by Adam Etheridge, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Adam Etheridge

Hi Everyone

We’re having a constant challenge trying to get a decent stable image from our Alta & M5.

We’re free of jello, but the M5 is doing a pretty poor job at keeping a stable image. The roll axis seems to be particularly ‘sloppy’. Example footage:
    http://filechute.aspectfilmandvideo.co.uk/downloads/70% autotune.mov

Settings:

Alta: firmware 3.4 + teal dampeners
    M5: firmware 4.02
    Camera: Sony A7s II with metabones adapter and Canon 35mm prime
    Fully balanced (motors approx 1-2% on charts when static)

Pan stiffness: 139
    Roll stiffness: 55
    Tilt stiffness: 24
    (set using autotune 70% then manual tweak)
    Gyro / Output filters: 3/3
    Heading assist: GPS

Any ideas or suggestions of what to try next much appreciated!

Thanks,
    Adam

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

3. Adam Etheridge

Thanks Gary, but we're not getting any Jello... just poor stability performance.

4. Tom Hirschmann

Tom Hirschmann New Member

I'm having similar issues with tuning a Alta/M5 combo carrying a GH4. Problem persists with 12mm Olympus thru metabones with 24-70 Nikon. Along with Roll issue, I have a bit of tilt bob. Balance is spot on, motor power between 0-1% on all axis when static. Problem is less apparent when tracking something but is pretty rough at speed and when moving in any direction without panning.

Tried tuning for 2 days without much improvement. Adjusted and then re-tuned the gyro and output filters, tried the same in independent output filters (after setting output to 1), and hold strength.

I would appreciate some help on this as well. Thanks!

5. Benjamin Kenobi

Benjamin Kenobi New Member

I had roll and tilt movements at first. What seemed to really cure the niggles was increasing the hold strength in the expert menu. All perfect now. Don't be tempted to put the stiffness too high. I also use compass heading assist which holds it well in fast flight (remember to calibrate the compass first, which isn't easy!) :) Just had two days of filming at high speed at Silverstone Race Track and the M5 was solid.

6. Tom Hirschmann

Thanks for the tips Benjamin, I'm play with the hold strength again and see if I can get it sorted.

7. Adam Etheridge

Thanks Benjamin. How high did you push the hold strength? I think defaults are 8. Did you push all three axis?

8. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Just tried some higher values (25/20/20 for hold strength) and while not perfect, it's significantly better in the 10-15mph wind I was just testing in with the GH4/M5 and the default 8/8/8 values.

9. Tom Hirschmann

Thanks Steve, those hold settings are certainly an improvement. Higher settings then I've played with previously trying to tune this combo. Appreciate the advice!

10. Frank Galella

Frank Galella New Member

Good day all. Im having similar issue as above, anyone flying the M5/GH4 combo care to share the M5 settings they are using across the board? Firmware 5 seems much more stable but the auto tune settings are way off for some reason, Im flying with the Olympus ED12MM F2.0 lens.
    would not surprise me a bit if my Alta settings were off as well after reading the above comments, so any guidance on those settings would be appreciated as well. Everything is balance perfect (several hundred hours with S1000, skycrane, Aerigon fleet, so not a beginner) for some reason this combo is a bit of a mystery to tune. Thanks in advance for any help.

11. Tomasz Gladys

Tomasz Gladys New Member

Hi Everyone,
    It seems that I have similar issue with my setup M5/A7SII+16-35. I can't get rid off of some vibrations. Please have a look on my video (password: Alta) and please give me some suggestions what settings should I change. Please help.

12. Jose Luis Ocejo

Jose Luis Ocejo Active Member

Hi Tomasz your vibrations to my eyes on a full screen sim to be like a combo of vibration with image woble have you try to fly changing the 3 different O ring isolators same payload?

13. Tomasz Gladys

Tomasz Gladys New Member

Hi Jose, I tried the red and teal ones ... but I didn't try red ones with current settings, so I will do that today.
    Thanks.

14. Adam Etheridge

Having spoken to FreeFly support and trying some of the above, we're very close to having solved this (M5 + A7sII + Metabones + canon prime)

We've changed the following:
    1. Added some weights to the cage (FF's suggestion). We fitted 2 of these to the vertical bars of the cage:
    http://www.bearingboys.co.uk/CADB15...lit_-40377-p?gclid=CJGe88auhMsCFYu6GwodlioFiA
    2. We re-tuned the above using gyro/output 2 and got stiffer settings
    3. Raised hold strength across the board to 20

Its not completely perfect, but very close.

Am going to trying adding 2 more weights and raising the hold strength a bit more. Also tempted to upgrade firmware to 5.0....

Adam

15. Jack Wrangham

Jack Wrangham Member

We have found the new firmware 5.0 to be a huge improvement in stability, even with the new default settings. With a bit of tuning its zenmuse perfect. So would def reccommend updating if you haven't already!

Benjamin Kenobi likes this.
  16. Martin Osborne

I am also experiencing similar issues with M5 and GH4.
    For my next test, I'm going to lower my gyro filter from 3 to 2, and increase my hold strength from 15 to 25.
    Anyone have any suggestions for the 3 new output filters? It's interesting that the defaults are 1, 5, and 10.

To date, the biggest improvement I have made was to lower the Alta vertical stiffness down from 11 to 6.

Why is this so hard? I am not a beginner either, but it breaks my heart everytime I think I have a solution yet the footage comes back not stable enough. I use the Movi handheld a lot and it's always rock solid.

Roger Fosaas likes this.
  17. Adam Etheridge

I know what you mean. While none of this is inherently difficult, it does involve variable on top of variable on top of variable, and therefore takes a lot of time to get right. FreeFly's kit is brilliantly made and their customer service is excellent, but it's frustrating that the Zenumes of this world work so perfectly first time. On the phone FF did say that the M5 struggles with such lightweight cameras (A7s, GH4 etc) in an airborne capacity. I'm not quite sure why this is so different to handheld, where it performs very well? If so many people are having similar problems, I think FreeFly should publish some guidelines on how to solve this... just my 10p.

18. Martin Osborne

Last Sunday I had my best results so far.

Alta vertical stiffness: 6

Movi M5 with Panasonic GH4 12.35 f2.8 lens at 12mm
    Tuned while suspended from 3 chairs. A manual tuning was about the same as 75% autotune.
    Gyro filter: 2
    Output Filters: Tilt 3, Roll 4, Pan 10
    Hold strengths: Tilt 25, Roll 30, Pan 25
    Heading assist: Compass

Always switch android tablet to flight mode when flying. When it comes in and out of range, the reconnecting sometimes makes the Movi have a little freakout.

We even had ok results with the lens set at 30mm on GH4 (60mm full frame) by turning up the hold strengths to 50. I think these numbers can go even higher. Strange things only start to happen at about 100.

Andreas Riem likes this.
  19. Andreas Riem

Andreas Riem Member

Gents, which sort of dampers do you use regular due temperatures around 7° with a lighter setup like Sony 7RII, Zeiss 24-70 f4? We are using the teal due to temperatures around -20° but after updating to Akira nothing is the same... ;-(