/dist/images/branding/favicon

Connecting Alta wires to Futaba R7008SB

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by Daniel Green, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Daniel Green

Daniel Green New Member

Does anyone have a pic or diagram showing the wire connections from the Alta to the Futaba receiver? Alta manual refers to Futaba manual - but doesn't seem clear.

Thanks!

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Daniel:
    The connections will vary depending on whether it's the primary receiver or secondary receiver. The primary receiver sits between booms #1 and #2, the secondary between #4 and #5.

In the case of the primary receiver, there are two connections:
    1. The JR connector (three wires) that you plug into the Futaba's is located at the end of the receiver where all the other JR connections are (see the image below).
    2. There is a two pin connector at the opposite end of the receiver -- that is for the red/black two pin connector that feeds the Receiver with the flight battery voltage.

The second receiver only uses connection 1 above.

Hope that helps.
    Andy
    ALTA Futaba connection.png

3. Daniel Green

Daniel Green New Member

Andy,
    Thanks very much for this. To confirm, I am only using one receiver. I'm new to this, so please excuse if I'm missing the obvious, but I'm still a bit confused about the 2 pin connector that goes to the opposite end - it doesn't seem to fit the connection on the other side.
    Here's a pic of the other side of the receiver and the end if the second wire coming out of the alta:

Thanks again for your help!

Attached Files:

4. Daniel Green

Daniel Green New Member

sorry figured it out - I was looking between 4&5 - thanks again!

Benjamin Kenobi likes this.
  5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Good! The image you posted is the JR connector (three wires) that goes in the S.bus socket where all the other three pin connectors are.

Andy.

6. Stefanie Williams

Stefanie Williams New Member

Hi Andy,
    It looks like you have connected to the SBUS2 port. You should be connecting to the SBUS port which is port 8 on the receiver. Port 8/SB does not work as standard on the R7008SB receiver and you have to enable it by changing the channel mode to mode B (instructions below). The SBUS2 port is intended for telemetry sensors and is actually slower than the SBUS port. So, there will be more latency between your TX-RX signals. You can read more about changing the channel mode here. http://manuals.hobbico.com/fut/r7008sb-manual.pdf.
    Thanks,
    Stef

7. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Stefanie the Alta uses SBus2 since it can send the voltage telemetry if the two pin power wire is attached. At least with my RX's I've not had to change the channel modes. Might have just been lucky.

8. Stefanie Williams

Stefanie Williams New Member

Hi Gary, the main control signals (i.e. AERT) should be on SBUS and not SBUS2 as the speed of the SBUS2 is almost half the speed of the main SBUS. The telemetry information for voltage does not go through the SBUS port - the cable that you refer to as power, is the main voltage detection cable which connects directly onto the main R7008SB circuit board and is sent to ground as part of the TX/RX signal.

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Stef:
    You raise a good question, but I was following the instructions in the ALTA Setup Guide which show in Figure 7a on page 15 the connector to the Futaba radio going where I have it. I'll raise this issue with Freefly as it would appear that the Setup Guide is in error based on what you say.

Andy

ALTA Setup Guide Futaba connection 7a page 15.png