/dist/images/branding/favicon

ALTA MOTOR TEMP ISSUES

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by JASPER GLAVANICS, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

You can see the Service Bulletin here.

EDIT: For questions about the service bulletin please contact Freefly Support:
    Email: support@freeflysystems.com
    Phone: +1 (425) 485-5500
    Hours of Operation: M-F 8am-6pm PST

Andy.

2. alex ryan

alex ryan Member

Thanks Andy,
    So its about ESC temps not motor temps. I'm interested to know, those who are reporting high motor temps are you getting a red status light warning?

3. alexandre ermel

Yes iam getting the red status light after 4 minutes flying. 13,6 kilos and 12,5 kilos at 3000ft temperature 24c degree.

4. alex ryan

alex ryan Member

Looks like you are flying above the recommended weight limits. I wonder if you would be experiencing the temperature alarm if you were under the limits. I agree that it is very difficult to bring larger camera packages under the limits, and I can tell you that I have flown without exceeding the limits on hot days (36c) and still reached motor temperatures above 70c.

5. JASPER GLAVANICS

and if one doesn't update to the latest firmware? I haven't done this yet .. as I don't want to get any alarms when my motors / esc's are reaching 70deg... which they will within a few minutes at this time of year.
    Again I freefly techs said that my temps look normal, even though one motor / esc being at 73deg. So i guess its a waiting game for the next firmware update which will sort all this out.

6. alexandre ermel

FullSizeRender.jpg

7. JASPER GLAVANICS

Thats the smallest lens I've ever seen on a RED! :)

8. JASPER GLAVANICS

Allow me to remind everyone what we're supposed to be flying with the ALTA....

Screen Shot 2016-02-16 at 4.31.20 PM.png

9. alex ryan

alex ryan Member

Hahaha. I wonder what their motor temps were like. Although if they did fly with this package they were probably flying at sea level in -10c temperature - Conditions pretty much non-existent here in Australia.

JASPER GLAVANICS likes this.
  10. JASPER GLAVANICS

Also Freefly don't get me wrong, even after all this banter and complaining ... I still think you guys create amazing pieces of equipment, and the ALTA is a .. for the lack of a better word... beautiful machine. I love it ... I just wish I didnt have to think about and worry so much about my completely naked RED epic and lightish lens mounted to it. After all, your whole selling point was that this machine was designed so that we as pilots could focus more on the shot, rather than worrying about what its going to do to itself in the air ...

11. alexandre ermel

from far the best drone i ever had chance to fly, just find my self deal with very limit weight capacite.

12. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Alexandre

From your post you say "Yes iam getting the red status light after 4 minutes flying. 13,6 kilos and 12,5 kilos at 3000ft temperature 24c degree."

From the Alta manual:

Screen Shot 2016-02-16 at 9.08.23 AM.png

At 3000 ft we can split the difference of 12.0 and 11.6kg for the 24c temp. So max gross weight would be 11.8kg.

From this it appears you are flying your system outside the operating parameters.

13. alexandre ermel

thats way iam in shock.post your epic or mini setup with orinal freefly bateires and post what you get in weight
    thats way i state other treat as alta dont fly epic and mini cameras as they adverteinsing around the world. lets be honesty wit each other we are a filmaker comuity .show me smaller setup genstattu 7000 and the setups bellow look again if iam out of weight what pacage i supouse to fly ... pnly at sea leavel at 0 or 10 degrees are you fine with this?
    image.jpg image.jpg

14. alexandre ermel

pickup sao paulo city brasil as atitude parameter ex and find areas in the globe where alta can fly by aircraft flight manual, much less than was adeverteing before

15. James Adkins

James Adkins Member

Perhaps in the future we will see an upgrade to a higher voltage 14S system with new props/motors/esc's. Cameras will only keep getting smaller/lighter too, putting the Alta right in it's wheelhouse for cinema work.