/dist/images/branding/favicon

Alta Capabilities

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by Jaron Denson, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Jaron Denson

Jaron Denson New Member

Hey All,
    We have been building a large X8 platform for a while now and are running into some layout and performance issues with it and we are starting to get fatigued from the whole project because it feels like an uphill battle and thus we are missing out on potential work. The reason we went custom built is to be able to carry a camera payload of 20lbs and not have to worry about stressing the system and having some good redundancy built in. The Alta initially looked like a great platform but in my mind it lacked motor redundancy and payload capability. Many reviews of the Alta have been positive with their only wish being more payload capacity. But I just have to ask does it really matter to your clients? Most of our clients want to fly RED and just got a call for the Arri Mini and I see people on the forums flying the RED and Arri Mini on their Altas. Are you struggling to pack requested setups on the Alta? Is the 15Lb payload at sea level accurate? Obviously flight time is a factor of many things but on average can you deliver an 8min flight with a heavy setup? I am new to the big camera game so some feedback would be appreciated about customer requests vs. Altas capabilities.

Thanks

2. Jaron Denson

Jaron Denson New Member

Also wanted to throw in here, is there any events in Southern California where we can go look at the Alta in action or a training camp that happens out this way that does not cost $2K?

3. Keith Colodny

Keith Colodny Member

Hi Jaron. We routinely fly the Red and Alexa Mini on our Alta without any issue. Payload comes in right around 14/15lb. There is a training class that Quadrocopter puts on in Dana Point, Ca. a few times a year. I have taken the class and recommend it to anyone that has not flown the Synapse FC. Feel free to contact me if I can be of any help.
    keith@pafilmworks.com

4. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

5. Jaron Denson

Jaron Denson New Member

Thanks for the input. I saw QC's classes, but for $2k just to take an in action look is not possible for me right now. I am sure if I purchased one I would reconsider their classes as I really like doing business with QC, they have great service.

6. Jaron Denson

Jaron Denson New Member

Jason, thanks for the links, I will run through them again and see if I can find anything of interest to me. We are running a DJI A2 which works great on simple flat machines and we have never had an issue with the controller itself in the past. However the main issue we are having, un-detected in my pre-build research, is that the aircraft looses significant altitude in translation movements. In other words its always flying on a slope. Apparently there is a whole thread dedicated to this issue on RCgroups.com ( http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2300970&page=20#post33940693 ) however I have not been able to remedy the issue and "just add some more throttle and reduce throttle at end of run" is not really something I want to continually manage. It is either going to have to work or I am going a different direction. I have a few things left to try so I have not given up yet...

7. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

the DJI A2 is known for that, i think the dji wkm does a better job, I have never flown one myself i am a mk man.

8. Stefan Helborg

Just a quick question Keith

When you fly with your RED or Alexa Mini setup, is it then also with an iris motor and a Wedge connected?
    And what powers the camera/Wedge? I have seen that people have a V-lock battery when flying with Alexa Mini, but it just seems very heavy.

I use one of my Movi batteries to power the downlink and SDI converter. I think, therefore, that you can also put a smaller Lipo battery than the usual V-lock to power the camera/wedge/iris motors, and thus save weight.

9. Jose Luis Ocejo

Jose Luis Ocejo Active Member

Hi Jaron what is the rest of your setup motors, Esc, PDB, props, etc and what is your Auw