/dist/images/branding/favicon

Spinning ALTA

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Cesar Fernandez, Dec 19, 2015.

1. Cesar Fernandez

I am just learning the operation of my brand new ALTA and MOVI M5. A two day training in California was not long enough to cover all the operational and set ups for the system (keep in mind that I am a wildlife photographer and a doctor by profession and this is all new to me).
    With the Movi installed in the ALTA, when I turn the transmitter and the Movi on, after balancing it, the ALTA starts spinning around and I have to turn of MOVI off or the Switch on the transmitter off to stop the spinning around on the drone.
    What I am doing wrong?
    Thanks for any advice.
    Cesar

Sergi Medina likes this.
  2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Welcome to the world of the MōVI! This is a common problem. The best way around it is to either use "airborne" mode and place the MōVI in "lock" mode, or if you prefer to fly in "handheld" mode (which I do all the time), leave the MōVI powered on but in "kill" mode until you start the copter, after which the copter's motors will hold it in place.

But others may have other techniques.

Bottom line: you're not doing anything wrong. You're just not doing everything. :)

3. Cesar Fernandez

Thank you Steve, you have been a lifesaver!! :D

4. Matt Beardsley

Good question, Cesar, definitely a tricky point of the Alta vs. rigs with retracts attached to the platform and not the gimbal. What are folks doing to use Mimic with Alta? I have the whole rig hanging from a big boom stand in the studio right now, great for Mimic and getting the camera rig tuned up, but no way to fly :) ...definitely spins on the ground since Mimic doesn't have a mode or kill switch that I know of..

EDIT: I'm hoping to find a work around that doesn't involve using a tablet and wifi. That would mean coming back to land and waiting for the wifi to reconnect before touching down (or letting the rig spin at that point). Maybe the DX8 could get the M5 in the air and then hand off control to the Mimic?

5. Cesar Fernandez

Thanks Matt, definitely tricky indeed.

6. Ali Ahmed

Ali Ahmed New Member

Steve,

We are using the Movi M5 on the Alta and have it in 'airborne' mode, however we leave the Movi in kill mode until the Alta takes off. Once the Alta is airborne then we change the Movi to 'dual' mode. Is there anything wrong with that?

Also you state "place the Movi in "lock" mode" when the Movi is in 'airborne' mode; what is 'lock' mode?

The Movi manual only shows "Dual Operator" "Majestic" and "Kill" mode, I have never seen 'lock' mode.

7. Bryan Edmonds

Bryan Edmonds Chief Mōvi Whisperer

Ali, when the Gimbal Application is set to airborne, the middle position (labeled Majestic) becomes a Parked position where all the axis will hold their position relative to each other. This keeps the ALTA from spinning because the Pan axis isn't stabilizing, just "frozen" in place.

With the ALTA, your rig will shake while in Park sitting on the ground. We're working on that. Until we have a solution for that, your solution is fine as long as you switch it to Dual as soon as you're off the ground to keep the MōVI from flopping and throwing the balance of the rig off.

Matt, we are also aware of the desire for a kill mode with the MIMIC!

8. Ali Ahmed

Ali Ahmed New Member

Bryan, thank you for the taking the time to explain that. Here is the problem I am having, I have the Movi M5 on the Alta and the Movi set to airborne mode, however when we have the channel positioned to Majestic/Middle the Alta rotates on it's axis when on the ground. Thus we have to take off in 'kill' mode to prevent the Alta from spinning during takeoff.

Also our rig does not shake while in 'park' when sitting on the ground.

Thoughts?

9. Bryan Edmonds

Ali,

I would be happy to troubleshoot this issue with you further through our ticketing system, but if the ALTA is spinning when the switch is in the middle position, the most likely thing is the following:

The Gimbal Application was set to Airborne, but not written. Therefore defaulted back to Handheld.

If you want to send a ticket in (support@freeflysystems.com), I can send you a quick video showing the difference between the modes.

10. Dylan Glockler

Maybe this will help clarify - MODE - followed by the three switch positions (Spektrum DX7s assigned Flap/Gyro switch):

MOVI MODE: Hand-held
    • Remote
    • Majestic
    • Kill (motors off)
    MOVI MODE: Airborne
    • Remote
    • Airborne lock for take-off/land (motors on and holding steady)
    • Kill (motors off)
    Remember that if you switch between Hand-held and Airborne and do not write the settings to the MOVI it will reset to the last settings that were written to the onboard controller (so always check the mode prior to flight)

Bryan Edmonds likes this.
  11. Benjamin Kenobi

Benjamin Kenobi New Member

Hey mate,

I'm using the MIMIC on the ALTA. You use the Spektrum transmitter at the same time. Leave MIMIC off whilst on the ground. Then, as everyone has already stated above, leave M5 in KILL mode when attached to ALTA ready for take-off, then flick to DUAL OP once in the air. Then switch on your MIMIC. MIMIC overrides Spektrum commands. Switch off MIMIC before landing and kill M5 once on the ground again. :)

Bryan Edmonds likes this.
  12. Neil Cain

Neil Cain Member

Hi all,

I'm using the iOS v2.0 app on an iPad & trying to figure out how I would put the Movi into 'airborne + middle - majestic' to avoid a spinning Alta on takeoff. Am I correct in thinking that I will need connect a spectrum RC or Movi controller in order to do this? Or am I missing something on the app?

Thanks

13. Bryan Edmonds

Neil, changing the Gimbal Application to Airborne will cause the default mode of the MōVI to change from Majestic, to Parked. Parked is what you can use to keep the ALTA from spinning on top of the MōVI while it is sitting on the ground, as it holds all three motors in their current position while enabled. However, as it has been pointed out in other threads, the whole rig will shake on the Aero Landing gear while sitting on the ground.

If you want to be in "Kill" on the ground and switch to dual or Majestic in the air, you will need a radio connected to the MōVI with a channel mapped for the Mode Switch. Without a radio connected, the MōVI will remain in the middle position (parked for Airborne, or Majestic for handheld).

The only software option in the app is to change between Airborne and Handheld. You can switch back to Handheld once you are in the air, if you want to fly with the MōVI in Majestic mode.

MIke Magee likes this.
  14. Neil Cain

Neil Cain Member

Thanks Brian that makes sense

15. Rolf Ableiter

Rolf Ableiter Active Member

i didn't fly with the new MoVI firmware yet. the issue that the ALTA starts vibrating in "park" mode (airborne) especially with the M10 is still here?
    i switch the MoVI to kill, start the motors and switch it to "park" and then to "stabilize" after the ALTA is right in the air.

16. Neil Cain

Neil Cain Member

Rolf,
    the vibrations I am getting at the moment are minimal, I can hear the motors humming a little but the vibrations aren't actually visible. I have nothing to compare to as I am setting up 1st time with all the new firmware/software etc and it's an M15, not M10. I guess you'll need to update to the latest firmware and see if there's any improvement

17. Rolf Ableiter

Rolf Ableiter Active Member

thanks! i did the update the day it came out but didn't fly yet.
    today the weather is fine here and i'll give it a try :)

18. Laurent van Droogenbroeck

Hi can you send me the link to video plz tx

19. Sergi Medina

Sergi Medina New Member

The “Park” mode isn't holding strongly enough the yaw axis to avoid undersired movement before or while taking off. Also, it's drifting continually, especially if one tries to position the drone by hand before taking off.

In my opinion, this very thing is what makes this wonderful piece of technology not perfect. Especially after all these years...

I mean, I could firmly lock the yaw axis, by hand and without any drifting, with an old SimpleBGC controller...