/dist/images/branding/favicon

Customer Feedback: M15 Users

Discussion in 'MōVI M15' started by Freefly_Andy, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Freefly_Andy

Freefly_Andy New Member

Hello Freeflyers!

My name is Andy, I am a product designer on the R&D team here at Freefly.

As part of an ongoing effort to improve our products and services, we are reaching out to existing M15 users to collect feedback.

Towards that end, we'd like to hear from you!

• What MoVI shots wow your customers?
    • How could the MoVI increase your speed / production value even more?
    • What is the one thing you wish MoVI could do, that it doesn't?
    Let us know what you think by sounding off in this thread.
    Thanks in advance for your input, we appreciate it!
    Cheers,
    Andy and the Freefly Team

2. Jason Comparetto

Jason Comparetto Active Member

This is a great gesture, we truly appreciate you reaching out to us to gather feedback.

3. Brett Harrison

Brett Harrison Active Member

Hi Andy!

As Jason says, this is really delightful to see - I am so keen to provide feedback about the M15.

First up: never failed. After probably about 170 days of operation now, never missed a beat. Sometimes takes twice to turn it on but that's the only thing.

Second: it's amazing and wonderful and beautiful.

Okay praise out of the way.

MoVI shots the please my customers: my customers are established high-end DoPs who are accustomed to working with Steadicam. They are impressed when the see the freedom of movement: being able to run and stride where Steadicam could not, where any form of traditional hand held could not without missing the framing. The precision of framing that this allows for with use of wheels really blows people away. So 'dual user freedom of movement' sums it up.

Edit: I forgot another big one: 'no worries' when the old 'too much wind' comment comes up.

The MoVI could increase its speed:

- a more robust sliding plate system: it does get awkward. Perhaps there could be two versions of the MoVI: super light weight cage and arms, and then a more rigid, precise version for heavier, predominantly vest/hard mounted usage, each wired with its own motor system so you could just plug in and off you go.

- engraved index markings on the posts (great for keeping equality between left and right etc)

- find a way to route the motor cables away from pulling incidents.

Some nice to haves:

- perhaps some version of balancing that happens at the roll bar rather than on the cage, which would allow the cage to become more compact around the camera body which would allow for a closer proximity to the pan motor without contacting.

- variable 'spine' (i.e. where the CPU goes) so you can reduce the distance from the handle

One thing I wish the MoVI could do that it doesn't:

Okay I kind of said this above, but the one thing I think it sorely lacks is greater power. If you created a motor upgrade kit I would be over the moon. This would allow for better inverted work especially off-horizon work like on the end of a Steadicam. It would allow for heavier packages and also make balance less critical (though balances are pretty fast already really once you get used to it).

J.Moritz Kaethner likes this.
  4. Ben Ruffell

Ben Ruffell Active Member

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the opportunity.

My clients are all high end international TVC's. Essentially, they want a tool that works perfectly, every time. The shot's that wow them are the ones that cannot be achieved with other equipment. Because, they have the ability to have any equipment that they want on set.

Movi could increase it's speed on set by being more of a complete system. But, for us (and for other established users I suspect) this is kinda redundant now, as we have all come up with our own systems such as cable looms and power distribution. But, for new customers, and to standardise, a complete system understanding that accessories need to be placed on the rig and powered would be beneficial.

I would like to see more regular updates with the firmware.
    - For example, the current Movi Controller Homepage is a mess. All of the regularly used items are scattered all over the place. Surely this is an easy fix?
    - Additionally, there are a couple of options that can only be changed in the app, and not on the controller. Why?
    - I look at RED and see how quickly they respond to user requests, and their roll out of updates. It's to be admired.

I am also hoping that if there are any physical improvements to the M15 that they are rolled out as an option upgrade for current owners.
    - I would be very disappointed if an M16 comes out shortly with stronger motors for example.
    - I think that RED has this policy implemented nicely. They really look after their supporters.

The one thing that I wish Movi could do, that it doesn't, is to hold a static frame when it is on a stand or rigged.
    - It currently does not do this. There are threads about it in the forums, and lot's of 'sorta' fixes. Nothing that actually works on location.

The next one thing that I wish Movi could do, that it doesn't, is to have greater Movi Controller range.
    - (But, to be fair, I have been working through with the excellent support team at Freefly, and I am hopeful that the fix is on the way).

The next one thing that I wish Movi could do, that it doesn't, is to have much more professional and rugged connectors.
    - I understand that the current ones are all to save weight. But, they are very, very flimsy, and are a delicate weak point when on location.

The next one thing that I wish Movi could do, that it doesn't, is to have better weather proofing.
    - We film on location, it is sometimes raining, or in the mist, or in the snow. The current system feels so vulnerable.

The next one thing that I wish Movi could do, that it doesn't, is to have a better interface on the app. It's a bit of a mess.
    - The information is all there, but you have to dig through several pages and drop downs to find the options. This could be tidied up easily by a usability expert. It could be more graphic. It could be laid out as a series of steps to be performed in order.

The next one thing that I wish Movi could do, that it doesn't, is to have a better battery charger.
    - The small, fiddly current one is a bad design. It fails the test of passing it to an intern and asking them to put it on charge without detailed instruction.

Hope that this feedback is useful.

Regards,

Ben

Derek Cooper likes this.
  5. Simon Sjoren

Simon Sjoren New Member

Hi, thanks for reaching out.
    The one thing we miss on our M15 while in-air is a stronger pan motor.
    We load it up with around 9 pounds of camera weight, FS7, Canon 24-70mm, Wedge and a focus motor.
    This is well below the maximum stated payload.

And it's impossible to fly sideways and to get the pan motor to hold stabilization. Regardless of hold strength, stiffness or filter settings. The pan motor is just too weak. Please upgrade. Please please.

6. Jason Toth

Jason Toth Active Member

Everything above (biggest one is a larger pan motor that holds)!
    Search the forus and others are having the same issue - we can only put 9lbs on the M15 on the Alta or other drones.
    The Pan motor is too weak to deal with wind and inertia when traveling 10+ m/sec :)

7. Luke Frederik

Luke Frederik New Member

Hey Andy,

The M15 is a really great gimbal! We use 4 of them on our UAV's.

The biggest issue we have is that when flying a reasonably heavy camera package (Dragon/Mini with Ultra Primes for example) the Pan axis won't hold at speed, a combination of inertia and drag just overcomes it. It really needs an upgraded pan axis motor! I think it has already been mentioned many times.

I also think that having the cables better covered/concealed would be safer, as they are exposed and can easily become damaged. Especially when you have AC's crawling all over it.

:)

8. Angus Benson-Blair

Angus Benson-Blair Active Member

+1 on pan hold when flying.

9. AdamSculthorp

AdamSculthorp New Member

+1 for Pan hold
    +1 for better cable management, which leads neatly on to the following two comments:
    • 12v Power slip-ring in the pan axis (for camera, accessories and movi), HD video slip-ring would also be nice
    • Hardwire control cable between Movi and Movi Controller when being used on cranes, tracking vehicles etc.
    Also please improve the input power connector on the Movi Controller - a Lemo would be best!

10. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

I would love to have Tool-less handle grips. When we go inverted, for higher-angle shots, I always have to get out the hex tool to flip the handles over. Would love to have a set of handles that just need thumb-screws to adjust.

J.Moritz Kaethner likes this.
  11. Chris Fanning

Chris Fanning Member

• +1 on pan motor
    • +1 on movi controller range
    • would love a freefly solution like the jockey, exoskeleton, or easy rig puppeteer that adds stabilization on the additional axis's and gives payload relief to last longer without making me look like I belong in special Ed.
    •I would love to have sliding counter weights or adjustments to quickly put balance in the pocket like on a steadicam.
    • would love ff, power cables, and vid cables built in to gimbal.
    • would love a proper case / way to transport the movi setup from location to location.

12. Joe Tamel

Joe Tamel Member

+1 on integrated d-tap & bnc cables. +1 on a case that you can transport a built rig. +1 on some kind of improvement on existing easyrig/exoskeleton situation. +1 on engraved markings on the posts.