/dist/images/branding/favicon

Losing On Screen Display information

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by Jason Bulley, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Jason Bulley

Jason Bulley New Member

Hi All,

When my Alta is sitting on the ground I have a perfect fpv picture with the OSD information overlayed.
    The moment I arm the Alta (before even starting the motors) the OSD information breaks up and shows only intermittently.
    The fpv picture is not affected.

I have tried changing the pal/ntsc setting on the app but that just removed the information all together.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can resolve this?

Many thanks

2. alex ryan

alex ryan Member

What happens when you start the motors?
    My OSD does the same thing, but then as soon as I start the motors it comes back. Its just when the motors are armed, but haven't started that there is no OSD.

3. Jason Bulley

Jason Bulley New Member

Sadly it just flickers intermittently for the duration of the flight until I disarm after landing.

4. alex ryan

alex ryan Member

hmm. When I first set up my osd it didn't work because it wasn't compatible with the camera.
    Try unplugging the camera and see if it is still flickering. If it stops flickering it may be a camera compatibility problem. Otherwise I remember a thread on the forum with a lot of people working out different issues with the OSD and FPV. Do a search for OSD and you might find an answer.

5. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Jason, try a direct connect, camera to the FPV transmitter. If that works fine then I my thought is that you have a camera compatibility issue.

6. Cesar Fernandez

I have the same problem. I purchased the entire package through Quadrocopter and as far as i Know they test the system before shipping but not sure if this is one of the issues they check. Would have to call their support department to see what they suggest.

7. Jason Bulley

Jason Bulley New Member

Hi All,
    I solved the problem.
    I replaced the FPV system (transmitter, cables and camera)
    All worked fine on the bench right up until I attached the FPV camera to the Alta body. At that point the OSD display disappeared.
    It would appear there is some sort of interference when the camera is attached to the main body so I isolated it with a rubber washer and the problem disappeared completely.
    I now get 'jello' on the FPV image when it's flying but that's another issue!

Best

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

What? Wow. That suggests that there is some electrical conductivity between the carbon fiber of the ALTA and the outer case of the FPV camera.

The first thing I would check is to put a voltmeter between the attachment point on the ALTA and the mount of the FPV camera.

If you are getting true "jello" -- that could be a sign of vibration being induced into the camera.

Which camera are you using -- and was this something you added or did FF or the dealer install it, please?

Thanks
    Andy

9. Jason Bulley

Jason Bulley New Member

Hi Andy,

It appears to be a non branded generic 'micro-compact' camera which was fitted by the dealer.

I didn't have jello before so I assume it's because I've introduced the rubber washer and therefore the ability for the camera to vibrate at a particular frequency.

Best

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hmmm. My first question would be to ask the dealer to swap out the camera -- I recall other threads where some cameras are either flat out incompatible, or marginally compatible.

That generic camera might also be the source of the electrical problem too. Cameras that I know work are the ReadyMadeRC 540 (not sure this is sold still) and the ReadyMadeRC 700 (currently shown as out of stock as of 2016-01-30).

Andy

11. Daniel Delaunay

During last flight totally lost fpv. No image no osd information. Tested with two other immersion transmitters, switched channels, anntenas, unpluged the camera (RMRC-700XVN). Nothing works!
    Somethines switching channels I can see a shadow of camera image with osd info but not good enough to fly, just as if it was been transmitted in a near frequency out of tune.
    Anyone has any sugestion?

12. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Did you check the OSD values in the GUI? Perhaps the Video Mode got changed?

13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

If it is not what Gary suggests, it could be ether a wiring problem -- a bad connector causing high resistance -- or a failure of the FPV video overlay chip.
    The first you might be able to check *some* of the connections (look for a pins partially pushed back of their plastic housings), the second will probably require that you open a ticket with support@freeflysystems.com.

Andy.

14. Vincent Delmont

Vincent Delmont New Member

Hello,
    I had the same problem on my two ALTAS and it is a ground loop (EMC conductivity).
    The mass of the control / command ALTA is connected to carbon fiber body ALTA.
    if we install a camera with a metalic body connected to its mass, Carbon plate and metallic screws, there is a ground loop that is created via the screw and the core of the plate Carbon.
    I used a PVC plate to attach the camera and thus isolate the ground loop. Since this change, I solved my problem on both ALTA.

Humberto Barchini likes this.
  15. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

That's an interesting observation, Vincent.
    I'll relay that to the folks at FF.

Andy.
    ----------
    Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limitâ„¢
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

Humberto Barchini likes this.
  16. Dave Thomas

Dave Thomas New Member

Hey guys,

Thanks for point this out. I tested here at Freefly and could not reproduce the issue. However, you do bring up a good point about ground loops, so I thought I'd point out a few other potential sources of difficulty (in case it helps others):
    • Set your default camera type to NTSC
    • The FPV plate is fairly close to the underside of the carbon fiber chassis. If the bolts you use to attach the FPV camera to the bracket are too long, the bolts themselves could touch the chassis and create a ground loop.
    • The FPV Tx mount might be another source of a ground loop. We use adhesive backed foam tape and zip ties to attach the Tx to the mount bracket, which keeps the Tx housing from touching the ALTA frame directly.
    I'll keep an eye out for this OSD issue and see if I can get to the bottom of it.

-Dave