/dist/images/branding/favicon

ALTA's in high wind and altitude

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by Paolo Brianzoni, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Paolo Brianzoni

Paolo Brianzoni New Member

Dear friends,
    I've been reading the forum for a while now and I finally convinced myself to purchase an ALTA to upgrade my current setup.

Everything looks amazing, but I'm still worried about ALTA's performances in high winds and extreme altitudes. I will use it mainly in wind up to 15/20m/s (40/45mph) and at altitudes up to 4'000 meters (13'000ft). I will mainly fly Canon 5DS and RED.

Reading online I found different opinions about high wind performances and most don't get great flying with 20mph winds. What would happen with almost double the wind speed?

Haven't found much infos about high altitude flying and payloads also, someone has done some tests?

Thanks everyone for the useful informations! ;)

2. Adam Orens

Adam Orens Member

We have flown the ALTA in high winds here in Hawaii and had no issues. The ALTA Manual has a Density Altitude Chart that shows the max gross. Just a note...... ALL Copters are going to have an issue at 13,000 feet with over revving. You NEED to change props for that high of filming. :)

3. Bryan Edmonds

Bryan Edmonds Chief Mōvi Whisperer

4. Jeff Scholl

Jeff Scholl Distributor

I'm wondering how many full scale crews would operate in those conditions? Leo Tamargo care to share?

Best,
    Jeff

5. Paolo Brianzoni

Thanks Adam! What do you mean by high winds? Idea of the wind speed? What payload were you carrying?

Thanks also for the density chart, do you have any suggestion about props that I could choose for high altitude flying?

6. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Please do not change the props, there is a high risk of crash if you do so.

7. Adam Orens

Adam Orens Member

I would definitely work with freefly on that high altitude flying thing. As a pilot of prop airplanes we tend to loose thrust due to engine power loss. The cool thing about electric is you have available engine power and can recover performance through propellor dynamics.

8. Paolo Brianzoni

To be as straightforward as possible, would I be able to fly with 35mph wind carrying a Canon 5D + 100mm 2.8 IS (2kg/4.5lb)?

I flew in that conditions dozens of times with a regular Octo in the past years, so please don't tell me it's impossible for any UAV ;)

9. Adam Orens

Adam Orens Member

I have done it. Have the video to prove it. We had a location shoot for King Kong and the weather was GOING OFF.

10. Adam Orens

Adam Orens Member

It could do it and be well under max AUW.

11. Paolo Brianzoni

Ciao Adam! Sorry for the late reply!

I'm happy you say the Alta works fine with very high winds, I've been reading bad reviews about that! Is it needed to adjust settings depending on the wind speed?

12. Adam Orens

Adam Orens Member

You have to adjust all flight controllers to fly properly under different conditions including weight and wind. :confused: To tell you the truth, I haven't had to do much change to the configuration as compared to trying to get my DJI A2 to fly well. Its very simple to adjust and load a configuration in the field too.