/dist/images/branding/favicon

Horizon drift issue

Discussion in 'MōVI MR' started by Ian Howe, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Brice Tholozan

Brice Tholozan New Member

Would it be possible to have an idea of the settings for a red Epic with a canon 24/105 Lens please ?
    Thanx.

2. Brice Tholozan

Brice Tholozan New Member

here is some footage where you can see our horizon issue.
    We have the feeling that we are not far from good but we need any idea that can help !!!
    pass word : horizon

3. Joe Lawry

Joe Lawry Member

According to Tabb the horizon issue should be fixed with the new firmware. I haven't had time to upgrade yet however.

4. Andrew Griffiths

I'd be interested in this. We've seen all sorts of issues with horizon drift on ours and keen to find a fix. Holding off on the latest firmware as it seems people are having problems with the update.

5. Joe Lawry

Joe Lawry Member

Yep, same. We still haven't updated..

6. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Go ahead and update. The issues reported were mainly due to not dating the current setting and reloading them after the update. The update sets most parameters to Zero. Follow the directions on saving and you should be good.

Andrew Griffiths likes this.
  7. Sam Leggett

Sam Leggett Member

Hi all,

How is the horizon update going? We have had a bit of an issue with ours too. Also could someone please point me in the direction of the update page? I can't find it on the freefly page or the store page. Also when you update do you just write down everything you have written in the GUI and any other adjustable parameters and then out them all back afterwards? Not done it before and want to do it right!

Many thanks,

Sam

8. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

Yesterday we flew some big fast wrap-arounds of a building and just like the radians used to, the movi will lean into the movement. So if you're tracking left, it will lean to the left. We have the roll trim set on the rudder stick so my op can compensate, but it is tricky. I have to let him know when I'm slowing down so he can feather out the stick, but it makes for a tough move while simultaneously panning and tilting, not to mention it is reverse from normal flying where the roll is on the right stick and yaw is on the left. This is on a new M5 that came with 3.07 loaded on it.
    I would love it if it just held the horizon perfectly, but I would much rather have it go off on these types of shots as opposed to the zemuse-style of drifting and staying off level forever after, especially when the movi stabilization is so good otherwise.
    Our eyes are so sensitive to roll being off level, even half a degree is noticeable, and I can imagine how difficult it must be to determine a level horizon during acceleration with the type of sensors used in these tools.

If there was some kind of adjustment that could be made on the fly to crank up the "gyro trust", using the remote, I think it could solve the issue for 95% of the moves I do. The alexmos gimbals will hold a level horizon with the gyro trust really high, but then like the zenmuse they will go off and not return to level easily.
    In the movi, I would think this adaptive gyro setting could be done automatically using the GPS data. ??

9. Andy Post

Andy Post Member

Hey Thrill Seekers. I was also having horizon drift issues, particularly when flying perpendicular to the lens axis. It was driving me nuts, particularly as it was better sometimes than others, but never really good. It dawned on me that at some times there is a LOT more carbon fiber, and other UAV hardware between the GPS and Satellites.

We bought a small extension cable, I think it's only about 6" or so, but is something like this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...d=1448197595&ref_=sr_1_5&s=electronics&sr=1-5 This let us move the stock GPS antenna to the outside of the back leg. The antenna how has two pieces of heavy duty Velcro on it. The one on the side, lets us mount it to the back leg so it's still pointing skyward. If we go handheld, then we just remove the extension and put it back where it normally goes.

We tested this yesterday and our horizon has never been more stable. At $10 fix for a $4,000 headache.

sandeep nandy likes this.
  10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Interesting hack, Andy. (I use hack in the honorific sense -- as well, of course, as the word "Andy." :) )

Could you post an image of the setup.

Andy (another)

11. Andy Post

Andy Post Member

You becha. Three Shots are attached.

Extension n waiting Velcro: The Antenna has some HD Velcro on the bottom so it can quickly go right back where it was for handheld use.

Wide Shot: I just use a little Velcro tie to hold the extension to the leg to reduce vibrations

Stuck to the rear leg: You can see the two Velcro patches, one on the side to hold it on the leg pointing skyward, and one on the bottom to put it back on it's stand. Extension n waiting Velcro.jpg Wide Shot.jpg Stuck to Rear Leg.jpg

12. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Another alternative would to be install the Freefly Max GPS antenna. The added gain may solve the issue.

13. Andy Post

Andy Post Member

I did think about that. I remember researching this earlier (months ago) and saw a post where someone was asking if anyone had tried the Max GPS antenna and found it to solve the issue. I don't remember a reply. But it occurred to me that a better antenna won't help if it can't see the satellites in the first place, and I already had the extension cable so It was a no brainer to try it.

"A bird in the hand is worth two that can't see the GPS satellites because they're in a bush". I'm paraphrasing of course....

Ruben Moreno and Bryan Edmonds like this.
  14. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Nice paraphrase.
    Andy.

15. Clark Dalton

Clark Dalton New Member

It looks like this issue was fixed with the new firmware, although the hack is interesting and seems to be useful. Under the new firmware, you can change the heading assist to GPS. This tremendously improved our horizon hold.

16. James Adkins

James Adkins Member

Didn't rotating the compass 90 degrees change your heading in majestic mode? May not matter the more I think about it.

17. Stefan Helborg

18. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Bearing in mind that GPS signals measure the position of the GPS receiver by measuring the time it takes for the signal to arrive from the satellites and then triangulate on that, you would then have some ambiguity -- the signals would arrive at slightly different times at each antenna. You might have better luck just using the the 28db Gain just by itself. Then there would be no ambiguity.

That said, you might want to check with support@freeflysystems.com to see if changing antennae would void your warranty and other Bad Things.

There was a thread on the forum where someone just used a cable to move the GPS unit's current antenna out on to one of the landing legs and reported good results, so that might be another option. But again, I'd check with FF first.

Andy.

19. Stefan Helborg

Ok I wil do that :)

20. Stefan Helborg

I have mounted the GPS antenna from the Mimic (I think it's the same as a Max GPS antenna) and the Heading assist is set to GPS. When I make a 180 turn, my horizon still drift to one side... Any ideas other than finding a better place for the GPS antenna?

Video showing the drift