/dist/images/branding/favicon

4s Batteries at low temperatures

Discussion in 'Batteries & Power' started by Heiko Knauer, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Heiko Knauer

Heiko Knauer New Member

Hey guys,

I'm filming snowboarding for a while now. We always have some issues with our Batteries caused by the low temperatures. I'm using a M10 and the 2,6Ah 14.8V 4S Batteries won't last long at all. Today it was really cold between -20 to -25 Celsius degrees. They were empty after max. 15 minutes...

You guys think it would help to wrap them somehow to keep them warm. Also I'm little bit scared how to charge them probably. If I plug them to the charger they're full after 10 min.

Thanks for the response..

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Most people keep their LiPo batteries in their pockets, inside of a jacket, inside of a warm car, etc. before they're utilized. Battery efficiency in very cold temperatures is definitely compromised.
    While they're actually in use they generate a bit of heat, but -20 to -25C is very cold, so you might want to look at some kind of insulator. Maybe a very, very small down sleeping bag? :)

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I've also used an insulated "cooler" (normally used for beer on hot days) to keep the batteries warm. You can augment the heat from used batteries by using chemical hand warmers like this: http://www.amazon.com/HotHands-Hand-Warmers/dp/B00PX20LO0 to raise the internal temperature of the "cooler" before you've flown (and thus don't have any warm batteries).

Andy.

4. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

5. Heiko Knauer

Heiko Knauer New Member

Hey @Steve @Andy and @Howard,

Thanks for the Tips, went to Wallmart yesterday and bought some Handwarmers and build a Sleeping Bag for the Batteries out of it.
    Lets see how long they last tmrw.

Thanks for the response.

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

One of things you'll find is that when you activate those hand warmers, if you only use them for a couple of hours, there's still plenty of useful heat life to them (typically they last from six to ten hours depending on the brand.

If you (or a lady friend) have a vacuum sealing system (e.g. FoodSaver), just chuck the hand warmers into a vacuum food bag, pull the air out of them and seal the bag -- the hand warmers' chemical reaction then stops and you can re-use them later on.

And no, Mr. Maller -- I am not attempting to go for the "Shnorrer of the Year" award. :)

Andy.

7. Heiko Knauer

Heiko Knauer New Member

@Andy, thats good to know. Lets see if I cam find a 'ladyfried' :)

today the batteries hold quite long wrapped in those hand warmers..

Thanks a lot

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Well, you could always invest in your own vacuum sealer. In some cases, gentlemen might find that to be a less expensive option. :rolleyes:
    That is not my preference, however, as my delightful spouse already knows. :)

Andy.

9. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

It is possible that, the batteries are at the end of their life. We use after market lipos for powering for our Movis. Original M10 batteries' discharge rate is too low for powering several equipment at once.