/dist/images/branding/favicon

D

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by Dale Cochrane, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Dale Cochrane

Dale Cochrane New Member

D

#1 Dale Cochrane, Jan 7, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
  2. Humberto Barchini

Hi Dale... as I see the Alta is not unstable... its fly straight ahead... its look like the command (front back) is inverted... Your Alta come pre configured? do you configure/reconfigure the rev switches in the Ata app?
    Just my two cents...

3. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

There's nothing particularly interesting in the log file (as far as I can tell).

The video's very helpful. It looks as though your MōVI is attached but unpowered with no camera. In other words, it's just flopping around. This is not a good thing, as the movements of the empty MōVI can easily be misinterpreted by the ATLA's SYNAPSE flight controller, causing it to overcorrect for pendulum-like motions (ask me how I know about this :rolleyes:) . Plus, your flight never really got out of the "ground effect", causing the ALTA to thrash around through its own turbulence.

You're quite fortunate nothing got damaged!

My suggestion to you is to use the battery cage/landing gear with a couple Kgs in it (well-secured) to do your practice flights, not the MōVI.

Do you have experience flying multi-rotors? If not, there are some good flight simulators that run on PCs that can give you very good and valuable practice in maneuvering.

4. Rolf Ableiter

Rolf Ableiter Active Member

what flightmode did you use after take off?
    did you use GPS? it was windy around (shaking trees) and the ALTA is a bit "unstable" in GPS flying when it is windy.
    Did you boot correctly? you have to be sure, that ALTA will not turn around when booting!!!
    I use foam between ALTA and MoVI to get it stable when booting. i remove it when the booting process is over. I had some really unstable flights in GPS mode without that.
    Normally i take off in manual mode, switch to height mode , fly out of ground effect and try to switch to GPS. If the ALTA is doing something wrong i switch to height or manual, land and reboot.
    But with the foam between ALTA and MovI i never had to reboot the ALTA.

5. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

6. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Good luck, and welcome.

7. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Dale when you do the initial checks watch the control movement in the app on your iPhone/pad/droid.

8. Rolf Ableiter

Rolf Ableiter Active Member

flight modes, Dale?
    manual, GPS, height mode?
    did you start and switched to GPS or any other mode or did you leave the copter in manual mode?
    are you experienced in flying manual (most dji wkm, A2 and of course inspire flyers are not)
    the ALTA is not very stable in height holding when flying manual. it's more like a coax Helicopter (without pitchcontroll).
    it was very windy the day you made your maiden (as i can see in the video).

you can start and switch to height mode right after lift off.

9. Katya Nelhams-Wright

Hi Dale
    I don't see any lights flashing (obviously presuming that the back of the Alta is the part we can see in the video) so that would indicate manual mode for take off and the flight? Having primarily flown DJI prior to buy the Alta, I would look at your pitch on the app as it is the opposite to the DJI systems.

10. Denis Stretton

Denis Stretton New Member

Hi Dale
    Having deciphered the log file I am convinced that the pitch input was reversed in the configuration. At the point that the log file shows the Alta pitching nose down your radio pitch input column shows 1470u which is a pitch down command too. The pitch of the Alta at UTC 04:55:03 is -3.6 degrees at a rate of -11.1 degrees (nose down). At this point your pitch stick input is 1456u, you are in manual mode (996u) at hover point(1503u). At 04:55:04 UTC the pitch angle is -14.2 but the Alta is levelling a little bit at a rate of 9.9 degrees as your pitch input has now gone to 1479u (less nose down input), throttle at 1499 and still manual mode. You never go out of manual mode so I will ignore that from now on. At UTC 04:55:05 the Alta is now pitching down at -10.1 degrees but at a rate of -34.2 degrees. Now your radio pitch input is 1400u (nose down command), throttle at 1485u so you have decided to land or at least not go up anymore. At 04:55:06 UTC the Alta is now at an angle of -40.9 degrees but going over quick at -262 degrees rate. You have neutralised the pitch input and closed the throttle more but the crash is already happening.
    Two things- I hope my analysis is correct and if so it is a lesson to us all. As Katya said, it reads opposite to what we are all used to in the configuration app. I am happy that you had no damage but this is due to your quick decision to bring it down rather than risk taking it higher.

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

That's correct -- assuming by "stick up" you mean "right stick forward/pushed away from you" when the transmitter is horizontal. That should produce "nose down/ALTA flies away from you if it is nose-out."

Andy.