/dist/images/branding/favicon

Alta + A7SII + wifi

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by Tomasz Gladys, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Tomasz Gladys

Tomasz Gladys New Member

I'm checking the option of controlling my camera from the ground. There is a small item installed on the Alta creating wireless bridge between Futaba RX and camera so that I can control the camera from the ground. It doesn't support liveview streaming so WIFI link is not generating heavy traffic in 2.4GHz frequency band. I want to ask about your opinion, if it is save to have WIFI turned on in the camera (Sony A7sII) while its on the Alta?

2. Adam Orens

Adam Orens Member

I would not use the Wi-Fi while in flight. It can cause interference with the 2.4 GHz band used for radio control. We use the Connex unit which is nice because you get an HD digital downlink for video and there is an SBus signal on to control camera and gimbal movement. You can get the freefly universal start stop to control the camera or look at GentLED.

3. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I don't know if the Sony allows you to specifically choose a wifi protocol, but if it does and you can choose 802.11a (instead of the many other variations) which runs at 5gHz, you might be able to avoid interference on the 2.4gHz band. But it's a bit of a crapshoot. Personally I'd be very careful. Do you have a RF analyzer?

See here for reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11

4. Tomasz Gladys

Tomasz Gladys New Member

Hi Adam and Steve, thanks a lot for your support. I use the Connex too but only for video transmission. The problem is that I can't use USB port for controlling camera and HDMI output at the same time :( it works with the previous model A7S but not with A7SII. That is a great idea to check precisely all the frequencies with RF analyzer. I don't have any, but I will look around to find one.

5. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Yeah. I use the same model as Steve.
    Andy.