/dist/images/branding/favicon

Lipo storage

Discussion in 'Batteries & Power' started by Cesar Fernandez, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Cesar Fernandez

An 8 pack of 6S 22.2V 10Am batteries were shipped with my system. My questions are:
    How long can they be stored with full charge before you used them?
    If one would not used them after a full charge, what is the best way (steps) to discharge them using the Hyperium charger that came with the system?
    Thanks for any advice.

Cesar

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I would not keep them stored for more than say, 72 hours. Preferably not more than 24 hours.
    To store them you need to discharge them down to "storage" voltage (roughly 3.82 volts/cell).

I don't have one of the Hyperion chargers -- at least not the same model as I suspect you do. Does it have a "Storage" option that will either charge up to storage voltage (if the battery is below storage voltage) or discharge down to storage voltage (if the battery is above storage voltage)?

Andy.

3. Cesar Fernandez

The batteries are all 99% charged but I have to leave town and fly overseas and won't be able to use them as I planned. I will check my charger but I think it has a storage option on it, so I will have to discharge them down to 3.82 Volts/cell I guess. Thanks for your reply.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

What model of Hyperion charger do you have Cesar?

Andy

5. Cesar Fernandez

Hy Andy, I have the Hyperion EOS 720i. I just find out by reading the manual that it has a "Storage" function. You can set it to "store" at 60% and each cell at 3.82. It was rather fast!! a fully charged bat. was stored at 62% and each cell at 3.84 exactly (about the same as they came from Quadrocopter). It took about 125 min (about two hours) for two fully charged batt. to discharged using "store" function, in Sync mode. Thanks for your help.... now I know (still learning). Cesar

Steve Maller likes this.
  6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Cesar: Yeah, I have four of those units so that I can charge/store eight LiPos at a time.
    They are good because it takes the LiPo up or down to storage voltage depending on its current state of charge.

For DJI batteries I use dummy load resistors and monitor the flashing LEDs. They allegedly self-discharge, but I'm not sure I like the idea of Lipos doing that in the middle of the night.... :)

Andy