/dist/images/branding/favicon

ALTA price increase - December 2nd

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by Tabb Firchau, Dec 2, 2015.

1. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Tanner: Check with quadrocopter.com -- they had some ALTA on sale at the earlier pricing.
    Andy.

2. James Adkins

James Adkins Member

The second we heard about the increase we started searching for vendors who were still selling at the old price.

Trying to keep up with this technology is not for the faint of heart (or wallet) that's for sure!

3. Tanner Wilson

Tanner Wilson New Member

Thanks for the tip – wish it would have worked! Reached out to them as well as Freefly directly and was told "we think 8 months of the introductory pricing was fair". Which would have been fine if they would have labeled it introductory pricing.

For products that are intended for long term investment and use, calculating any sort of ROI with Freefly is impossible.. Which makes convincing management to invest in their equipment likewise impossible. Looks like we'll be sticking with our current kit.

4. James Adkins

James Adkins Member

This technology is evolving at such a frantic pace, you really shouldn't think of it as a long term investment. Any economic evaluation should be based on a 6 month payback (a year at most). If you can't comfortably meet that timeframe you should really think twice. At the end of that first year you should plan on the purchase only having a resale value of 50%. This is based on my experience anyway.

Matt Beardsley likes this.
  5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Tanner: quadrocopter.com is advertising a Christmas sale with $3,099 off ALTA, or ALTA+M15, or ALTA+M5....
    Just in case you didn't already make the buy....

Andy.

6. Bryan Edmonds

Bryan Edmonds Chief Mōvi Whisperer

The ALTA holiday rebates are:
    http://store.freeflysystems.com/collections/holiday-rebates

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Thanks, Bryan: I was fooled by the "up to $3,099" language! :) Sorry folks!

Andy.

8. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

YA, but who else could possibly do this for the money? A great Christmas/Holiday card from Freefly:

Merry Christmas to you all.
    -m

9. Jose Luis Ocejo

Jose Luis Ocejo Active Member

The way I see it is great for the many that bought an Alta at the introductory price that lasted from NAB to a month or so ago me included if this price increase is needed so Freefly can stay at the fore front of innovation, customer support, and quality products so be it its what it is competition out there is very tough specially from DJI, or look at the cost of a Hammer from Kopterworks this are sophisticated potentially money making machines and at this level way more money riding on them than the machine itself.

10. Paul Christopher Greene

While I agree with you overall Keith, with all due respect, the inability of Alta to fly 15 pounds safely makes it in fact NOT "exactly what the film industry needs".

What the film industry needs is a platform that will carry at least 15 pounds (gimbal / camera package / FIZ / video TX) at 50% thrust or less...for as long as possible since shooting on set is all about "hurry up and wait".

Further, building in as much redundancy (FC, etc) as possible in order to protect $100K+ packages would seem to be rather important as well lol.

Again, I agree FF makes very fine tools but I do have to take issue with the above...

Thank you,

11. Dejan Mugosa

Dejan Mugosa Member

@Paul
    Well currently there are more companies that need around 10 pounds then there are 17+ pounds.
    Lets say that over a 2 year period we got 500 requests on drones. RTF ofc and I can say that 100 were for 17-20 pounds payload drones and 400 of them was more up to 12 -13 pounds.
    But ofc there is those 10% that aim bigger. Like Movi m15 with RED camera and PRIME PL or COOKE lenses with ND and FIZ controller. OFC this than comes to 20 pounds payload and for this you need a bigger drone.

So belive me but they will make it but all things take time. In the meantime there is always a DIY or RTF options.

Second thing will be regulations. For More than 25kg 55 paounds drone in EU there will soon be no option to fly. So it has to be sub 55 pounds and still able to do all the things.

LeoBund likes this.
  12. Rolf Ableiter

Rolf Ableiter Active Member

+1

i am in this business since 5 years.
    at the beginning there was no way to fly cameras like RED (actually there was only the RED one...) and we were able to fly a FS100 under 5kg with a MK hexakopter and a light 3 axis servogimbal.
    with this little rig we had flighttimes under 4 minutes but we did really amazing things and hey: this is what it is all for.
    doing amazing things and pictures.
    when we arrive at a film set with the ALTA we are ready to go within 10 minutes.
    And because of the light setup (now with the FS5) we have netto flight times of 90 minutes with our batteries without charging.
    waiting while in the air? no problem...
    we did so many film and TV film jobs and mostly we have the opening and/or ending sequence. Nobody in the cinema or in front of the TV asks you with wich camera this was made if the picture and the movement speaks for itself...

Dimitar Krustev likes this.
  13. LeoBund

LeoBund New Member

Hmmmm... I agree with the price hikes (needs must etc...)... but not sure about your market research...

14. Łukasz Wójcik

Łukasz Wójcik New Member