/dist/images/branding/favicon

How Stable should the footage be

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by Ricardo Perret, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Ricardo Perret

Hy Gary... yes, my dealer is since a couple of days in Contact with freefly but there is no solution till now... we transmitted now my Gimbal settings and more test footage to freeflysystems.

No, my lens and the camera has no Stabilization mode...

Best Regards...

2. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Can you confirm the following settings you are using?
    Under remote settings: Tilt control mode
    What tilt stiffness number will start causing vibrations?

3. Sam Fleishman

Sam Fleishman Member

looking at the most recent footage, it looks like your only problem is on the tilt axis. From my experience from flying/handheld gh4 to alexa mini/red size payloads I've found the following. For a DSLR payload your gyro/output settings should be anywhere from 2,3 to 3,4. For larger payloads like the FS5 and Red Dragon I usually use a 5,5 for gyro output found in the expert tab. From the footage you posted your tilt axis looks like it's either under powered or your tilt window is too narrow. I would crank up the tilt stiffness until it vibrates and then back off 3-8 points. also crank up the hold strength from the default 8 to maybe 16. Haven't played with hold strength too much. Your Tilt stiffness should be closer to 50-70 on a camera that heavy. I think your last settings post said you were in the 20's. I would also do a calibration if you haven't already, and a factory reset/. I'm sure I'm beating a dead horse here with this post and you probably have tried all of this. It can't hurt to hear what other people are doing.

Dave King and Steve Maller like this.
  4. Romand Walter

Romand Walter New Member

Hello,
    I use movi 5 (3 of them) 10(2) and 15.
    Results were never perfect. Always needed post stab : for fligting the MOVI isn't the perfect solution for carrying a "what you want" camera, it is the less worse (for now...)
    So stop digging for perfection, start to explain to your client how to use after effect....

5. Ricardo Perret

Hey Sam, Thanks for Your input, the Fs5 isn't that Heavy... 1300 Grams incl. Lense... i tried everything to have a stronger tilt axis...
    When im in the hover and make very strong movements with the drone, the camera is super stable i have this problem just in
    straight ore fast flights without that heavy movements... check my follow post...

6. Ricardo Perret

Romand thank you for your statement, after hundreds of tests i am with your opinion! Freefly Suport and our local Dealer has alsoe no solution.

Today i was flying with a Movi M15 and i had exactly the same issues ( a friend of mine, a movi pro, made this time all the settings so i can now exclude that there is a wrong setting from my side)

I can handle that problem and im happy with the Freefly products but im surprised that nobody tells that this is the maximum wich you can reach with a movi on a copter and that a post stabilization is needed!?

Here was my latest test with a Movi M15, absolutely the same like with the m5!

I can imagine, that this shaking issues coming from the Downwash in forward flights... but thats my opinion.

Did somebody has real Raw and real unstabilized footage for comparison?

This footage shows me a little bit, that all Gimbal Settings are right... the gimbal is super stable.. i have only this shaking problems in straight flights...

7. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Ricardo which vibration dampers do you have installed in the ALTA? What color?

8. Ricardo Perret

Hy Gary, normaly i use the green one, on this test i had mounted the red ones (thats the reason why you seen some vibrations ) i now, this rubbers are a little bit to soft but i was wondering, how the red rubbers are working... during a normal flight the different is not really big.

9. Romand Walter

Romand Walter New Member

Re-Hi Ricardo,
    We have better results with heavy cam's (EPIC, Mini Alexa) on M10 and M15.
    We choosed to use stabilised optics or sensor (sony A7) for "low cost" work.
    I though we could have better results using an Alta than a crappy and unexpensive DJI A2. Unfortunately it seems not :(

10. Michael Elsegood

I agree with Romand wholeheartedly regarding lightweight cameras on M10 and M15, and to add my two cents, I believe it has a lot to do with the aerodynamics of the payload. I often shoot with a black magic pocket on M10 and find it is perfectly stable downwind i.e. little to no air speed, and lumpy and bumpy upwind - increased air speed. I spent lots of time doubting my balance and tuning - only to see hugely variable results flying the exact same rig in different conditions.

M15 with Alexa Mini, Epic etc on ALTA is close to flawless pretty much straight away, even close to autotune values.

My only advice on tuning would be to never neglect pan balance. It is super critical, especially since the landing gear and gimbal are a huge 'net' for collecting drag when used on a UAV.

11. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

Random Question... Have you tried it in the non-airborne mode? I have never had good success with the MoVI in Air mode. I just use the normal mode and turn the gimbal to disable using the remote when we fly.

Josh

12. Martin Osborne

I'm having this same issue with M5 and GH4, and the weather has been too bad to fly and troubleshoot in the past 8 weeks

13. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I just did a little testing with my GH4 and a Metabones with my Canon 16-35 to heavy it up a bit. I up'd the stiffness settings for the M5 a bit (a bit too far i think) but the results are encouraging. It's windy today, and I think I should go for the teal isolators maybe (been using the red ones). Still a bit bumpy, but I am beginning to think the GH4/Oly 12mm is a bit too light for the M5 and ALTA.

14. Robert Eder

Robert Eder New Member

I have seen almost perfectly stabilized shots from a MoVI but it´s rare. If you are used to Zenmuse gimbals don´t expect that from a MoVI. The Zenmuse gimbals have higher stability as the whole system is built more rigid and the motor/payload ratio is better.

The MoVI has more flex in it so gains can never be as high as with rigid alloy structures on small cameras.

You can see this when you bring a Zenmuse out of balance and it starts oscillating. Zenmuse gimbals oscillate at a few hundred hz, the MoVI around 50hz I would say. When balancing a shotover F1 and it starts oscillating you hear a singing noise around almost 1kHz. (estimated!)

You can get very close with a MoVI but at high flight speeds Zenmuse gimbals are better.
    We are getting very good results with Epics but also A7Rii cameras. With around 1% crop for stabilisation the results are perfect.

So if I had a Freely wish list for christmas It would be a MoVI M20 with (much) higher torque motors, more rigid assembly and power + signal ports near the camera plate.

If possible including an Alta XL to carry all that ;)

15. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Steve I think I have an even lighter setup with the Sony A7S and Canon 24mm 2.8 IS. Never had stability problems at that light of weight.