/dist/images/branding/favicon

C300 MKII on M15

Discussion in 'MōVI M15' started by Charles Bergquist, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Charles Bergquist

Wanted to start a thread on the C300 MKII and see if anyone has mounted it yet on the M15. I haven't seen any yet, but by the specs it looks like there might be some height issues similar to the last C300. Really interested in this one with all the options it provides for MoVI work, especially the Autofocus, could be a time saver for quicker two camera work.

2. Chris Odom

Chris Odom Member

Agree. Looking for feedback on set ups with C300MKII and CN primes 14/24/35.

3. Dylan Law

Dylan Law Member

Hey Guys,

I just slapped the MKII on in a fast manner with a CNE 35 Prime.

The setup feels pretty much the same as the MKI - I didn't put on any accessories but I see no issues with motors and what not!

Seems like a nice setup especially with the Autofocus feature.

IMG_1655.JPG IMG_1656.JPG IMG_1657.JPG IMG_1658.JPG

4. Chris Odom

Chris Odom Member

Thing of beauty. Thanks for sharing Dylan!

My MKII arrives Friday and Ill take my first stab at it with the CP.2 15mm. Looks good and doesn't seem to be any glaring issues.

Have you flown with that set up yet?

5. Dylan Law

Dylan Law Member

Hey Chris -

I Have only done a bit of testing around the shop and everything works great. I am using this setup in a few weeks for a project and have no fears!

6. Cam Batten

Cam Batten Member

Dylan, have you extended your cage rods? I tried mounting the Mk II last week and had to remove the top bar. Did I not try hard enough? ha!

7. Dylan Law

Dylan Law Member

Hey Cam,

You just have to slide the top and bottom bar as low as you can go and it fits just right ---- its close but does the trick

Cam Batten likes this.
  8. Chris Odom

Chris Odom Member

Just got my set up ready on the bench. C300MKII and CP.2 15mm. Tuned and tested. Check out flight tomorrow.

The C300MKII fits nicely on the M15 although it's at the very ends top and bottom. Tunes OK. We'll see tomorrow on the check out flight.

IMG_3909.JPG

9. Jason Herring

Jason Herring Member

What size motors and props are you using to fly that beast, amazing rig

Chris Odom likes this.
  10. Chris Odom

Chris Odom Member

T motor 18in props and U7s. 7.5 mins with 2x 12A batts and c300mkii and 24 or 35 CN primes.

11. Jason Herring

Jason Herring Member

Thanks Chris for the info

12. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

I put a C300 Mk2 on the M15 today, and it was a struggle to get it to fit in the cage because of the height and because that Eyepiece gets in the way when you're trying to slide it on. After a few tweaks, I eventually was able to get it on there, but the top and bottom cage clamps are a bit over the edge. Looked sketchy to me but it held.

Is there a way to get longer cage rods for the M15? Is this the same stuff??: http://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Outer-Wrapped-Carbon-Surface/dp/B00TF8UVZ2

IMG_1228.jpg IMG_1232.jpg IMG_1236.jpg IMG_1238.jpg

13. Benjamin Roth

Benjamin Roth New Member

Hi Dylan, nice setup. I'm wondering, what kind of stand are you using in your pictures?
    Cheers, Ben

14. Justin Marx

Justin Marx Active Member

Looks like a plain old c-stand

15. Benjamin Roth

Benjamin Roth New Member

True, but I mean the fork that comes of it, instead of the carbon one that comes with the Movi. It looks like the "rubberized" ends on it are bigger and it might be harder to knock the Movi of.

16. Dylan Law

Dylan Law Member

Hey Ben,

I made my own stand from Home Depot -- Its just a wall mounted bike rack attached to a C-Stand knuckle.

Works Great!

17. Graham Futerfas

18. Benjamin Roth

Benjamin Roth New Member

Thanks guys, that's what I was looking for.

19. Andre Morton

Andre Morton New Member

20. Graham Futerfas

Hi Andre, it worked really well, actually. We used Zeiss ZE primes, but the camera has plenty of room to slide back for heavier lenses.
    It's definitely tall for the cage, but it just fits. The eyepiece made it tricky to get in there -- we had to slide it back and move the top plate receiver out of the way to get it in, then slide it into place once the camera was attached to the bottom plate. Took a few minutes to figure out the plate positioning but wasn't hard after that.

One thing about the C300 Mk 2 that was weird was the video outputs. They seem fine when shooting at 23.976p, but when you go slow motion, it wreaked havoc on some of the older monitors. I couldn't tell if it was a 3G vs 1.5G issue, but My TV Logic 5.6" and our VTR guy's system couldn't take it. My newer Small HD 702 and my Flanders 17" worked with it. The Teradek was dodgy with it as well.

When we switched to slow-motion, we usually had to run a hard line BNC off the Movi back to video village, which was a drag.

Also, when you go slow motion, the camera doesn't tell you, but it switches from 444 to 422. That's fine, but when you switch back to normal frame rate, it doesn't switch back and doesn't indicate you're not in 444. You have to switch that back manually, too. So it's like 3 menu settings to change frame rates.

Also, you lose the REC709 LUT that makes the Canon Log look nice when you go slow-motion.

We had 4 separate battery sources on the rig:
    1 Freefly battery for the Movi
    1 Freefly battery for the Bartech Follow Focus Receiver (With JST to P-Tap adapter)
    1 Canon BP-A60 Battery for the C300 Mk2
    1 Swit\Sony L battery for the Small HD 702 monitor and Teradek Bolt Transmitter

There's an Audio Comms reference on there too, and a very small Lockit Box for time code.

And then the assistant has batteries powering his follow focus and witness monitor\Teradek Receiver.

All that said, the camera offers a really beautiful picture. Just needs some tweaking from a technical standpoint.

Here are some pics of our setup:

IMG_1299.jpg

IMG_1301.jpg

IMG_1303.jpg
    IMG_1305.jpg

IMG_1307.jpg

IMG_2161.jpg

Chris Pirone likes this.