/dist/images/branding/favicon

Before first take off with camera/gimbal

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by Stefan Helborg, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Stefan Helborg

Hi

Before I put my ALTA in the air with the M-15 gimbal below, I will just have to make sure of the process.

ALTA, MOVI M-15, BMPC, MOVI Controller.

Balancing:
    1. Mounting the black shock absorption instead of the green ones due to the weight of my rig (13,4 kg)
    2. I hang ALTA with gimbal centered up in a string, and with the ballast it will have in flying condition.
    3. In the MoVI app I put the gimbal in airborne mode.
    4. I autocalibrate gimbal and maby fine tune the calibration manually efterwords. I do this in Dual operator mode until it's not oscillating. When I put it down on the ground again, I can expect that it will oscillate a bit.

Take off:
    1. Power on all systems.
    2. MoVI app set in airborne mode.
    3. MoVI in ​​kill mode (on the controller)
    4. As soon as it's in the air, I can turn the MoVI into dual or majestic mode.

After a quick calibration here the other day, I held ALTA in hand with gimbal below. I turned off my MoVI controller, and the MoVI went to Majestic mode, as expected. However it seems that it's pan window was narrowed down to about 3-5, and not the 20-30 I had set it to on my MoVI controller. Does the MoVI not use the last loadet preset settings regarding window and smoothness, when the connection to the controller is lost?

Please comment/correct this process, so I can edit the post, so others can benefit from this startup tutorial :)

2. Mateusz Hajdziony

Have you been in airborne mode during your test? There's really no majestic mode in airborne - the Movi will exactly follow the yaw of the copter. That's to prevent the craft from spinning around while you're on the ground (with landing legs attached to the Movi), and that's the only difference between handheld and airborne mode.

3. Stefan Helborg

Yes, I definitely think that it was in airborne mode. However, I had an understanding that it would go in majestic mode, when it lost the connection to MoVI controller (which is probably already going to happen after 100-300 meters)

This would be possible still making smooth recordings as smoothness and window were set a little high for majestic mode. It is so not the case as soon as you lose MoVI connection.... Right?

Is my approach otherwise correct?

4. Mateusz Hajdziony

Can you switch between airborne and handheld mode via Movi Controller? I not, then the Movi won't go into handheld mode because it is not something that's switchable via controller, but rather via an app.

5. Stefan Helborg

No only via the app.