/dist/images/branding/favicon

Can't load new firmware or beta firmware

Discussion in 'MōVI Controller' started by Joe Tamel, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Joe Tamel

Joe Tamel Member

Hello All,

I have a Mac with OS 10.10.3 and I am having no luck loading the any new firmware onto the controller. I've installed the FTDIUSB Serial Driver v2_2_18 and it still doesn't work. I've noticed that the serial driver is for OS 10. - 10.7. So I went on FTDI's website and loaded the version (2.3) for my OS. Still won't work. When I plug the USB cable into the controller, I can see that it is registering on the Movi Controller Firmware Updater Tool under the Select COM Port dropdown menu. But on the controller, it does not say "Comm" like it does in the pic on the instructions on the Freefly website. When I select "MCFW_v2_0_5rc_ENC.bin" in the Firmware File Select Path and hit "Start Firmware Load", the display on the controller flashes once and shortly thereafter, the firmware updater tool gives me an error that the USB driver is not current. If anyone knows what I can do to remedy this, let me know. I have a long-term rental that is supposed to go out in two days. Thanks!
    Screen Shot 2015-10-27 at 9.41.42 AM.png

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I think the quickest approach, if you've not already done so, is open up a ticket with FF, Joe. Email support@freeflysystems.com.
    I don't have a machine running Yosemite. (OS X 10.10).

That said, this might be of some assistance:

In Mavericks and Yosemite, Apple decided to create their own FTDI driver, instead of using the one suppled by FTDI. And that Apple driver: (1) does not listen to our matching usb hardware dongle vendor and device id's. (2) conflicts with some of the id's supplied by the older FTDI driver. So the end effect is that the Apple driver messes up not only our own dongle, but various other Arduino and serial devices (using FTDI) as well.​
    See http://openbci.com/forum/index.php?...and-virtual-com-ports-mavericks-yosemite-note
    So it sounds like the FTDI driver you installed might be the problem.
    Andy.

3. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Do you have any other choices in the dropdown list for Select COM port? Are you connecting the USB directly to the computer or through a USB hub? Try direct connect if you are using the Hub.

4. AdamSculthorp

AdamSculthorp New Member

We too had a similar issue. However it was fixed when I dropped my old Macbook Pro and replaced it with Mid-2015 model... It now works perfectly.