/dist/images/branding/favicon

Alta and Movi Tuning Help

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by Chris Fanning, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Chris Fanning

Chris Fanning Member

Hey Guys, Working hard to get everything tuned and working perfectly. Not quite there yet and could use some advice / help. In this setup I'm flying the Movi M15 with 5dmkiii with Canon 24-70 lens. Autotuned Movi at 80% hanging Alta in the air from stands. Movi is balanced perfectly showing less than 3% on motors in graph. Had to switch to black isolators as green was showing vibrations. tilt stiffness is around 40% Roll stiffness around 70% Pan stiffness around 90%. Below is a link showing what's happening. I'm showing with two different Gyro and Output settings so you can see. It's just not dialed in and I don't know what else to do to make it perfect. Movi is set to GPS and Airborne. Any help is appreciated! Password is alta

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

When you changed the Gyro and Output settings did you re-tune? Did you do any tweaking to the tune after auto tune? Auto tune gets it close but you may be able to squeeze out some additional strength settings manually.

3. Chris Fanning

Chris Fanning Member

Thanks for the reply! That footage is from the same flight. Using the Movi controller in flight we dialed them down from 5-3 and saw better results but still not perfect. Wondering if we should go even lower?

I didn't do any tweaking to the tune after autotune. It always seems like if I get that extra bit out of the tune while on the ground, it ends up being to high of stiffness once flying and oscillates. I'll see if I can get more out of it.

4. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Tuning values at Gyro/Ouput 3 will be different. Try re-tuning.

From the MoVI Manual

Expert Menu: This menu contains expert settings that normally do not need
    to be adjusted. Leave these settings at the factory default unless they are
    required for troubleshooting.

Pan/Tilt/Roll Hold Strength Settings - These values control how strongly
    each axis follows and holds the commanded position. A higher Hold Strength
    allows faster panning and tilting in Dual Operator and Majestic Mode, but
    may cause overshoot with heavier cameras. A lower Hold Strength provides
    additional smoothing. (See Pan/Tilt Joystick Smoothing and Majestic Pan/
    Tilt Smoothing for other ways to adjust smoothing on each axis.) The default
    value (8) works well for a large range of cameras.

Gyro Filter - This setting adjusts the strength of the filter applied to the
    Gimbal’s gyro sensors. If the Gimbal is experiencing oscillations that cannot
    be corrected by adjusting Stiffness settings, you can use the Gyro Filter
    to further tune the Gimbal and remove oscillations. As a general rule, if
    the oscillations are fast and rough in nature (buzzing), try increasing the
    Gyro Filter. If the oscillations are slow and smooth in nature (rocking), try
    decreasing the Gyro Filter.

Output Filter - This setting adjusts the strength of the filter applied to
    the Gimbal’s motor outputs. If the Gimbal is experiencing oscillations that
    cannot be corrected by adjusting stiffness settings, you can use the Output
    Filter to further tune the Gimbal and remove oscillations. As a general rule,
    if the oscillations are fast and rough in nature (buzzing), try increasing the
    Output Filter. If the oscillations are slow and smooth in nature (rocking), try

decreasing the Output Filter.

5. Chris Fanning

Chris Fanning Member

So do you agree I should retune with GYRO and Output at 3, autotune first, then try and tune highest stiffness value as I can get, then check from there? Or were you suggesting I play with the hold strength settings as well?

6. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

If you change the Gyro/Output settings then re-tune. The resulting values will be different. I think if you lower you will be able to set them higher. (from memory).

7. georgemcnabb

georgemcnabb Member

If you could let me know how you get on with this, that would be great! Am having similar issues!

8. Chris Fanning

Chris Fanning Member

Reached out to support directly. They are currently viewing the footage and waiting on them to respond back with some things for me to try.

9. georgemcnabb

georgemcnabb Member

Fantastic please keep me posted with what they suggest. Mine is mainly in high winds and is jiggling around. May be from using dampeners too soft

10. pejman.ghorbani

pejman.ghorbani New Member

I faced the same issue with my setup; the gimbal is slowly rolling to left and right while flying

Alta
    M15
    Aero landing gear
    Connex
    S2H converter
    Alexa mini
    Zeiss CP.2 15mm
    2x10000
    Total weight:13.6kg

Auto tune gives the values of 140,60,50 which are not looking right. I never changed the filters actually.

11. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

12. Chris Fanning

Chris Fanning Member

FYI... I've been working with Freefly to try many different things to correct this, It hasn't improved much yet. I'm working as much as I can between jobs to get this fixed. If anyone else has conquered this issue please post. Also my ALTA isn't flying that great in GPS mode. Waddles / Rocks back in forth in forward flight, flies like a knife in reverse. Are any of you experiencing this as well that are having Movi stabilizing issues like mine?

13. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

Has anyone tried flying with the camera pointed up some degrees with a view of the Alta's arms? To see what the copter is doing in fast forward flight? I'd also hard mount a gopro on the copter's frame with a view of the gimbal to see what it's doing in flight. Could it be prop wash hitting the gimbal?

14. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Chris - Black isolators are too hard for your payload IMO. I would be flying Teal ones with that payload.

Try that out and see if it helps. Depending on temp you might even need to go to red isolators, but I think teal are the right choice

15. Chris Fanning

Chris Fanning Member

Hey Tabb, Thanks for response! I since have mounted my 5D to my Movi M5 with Teal isolators and the Movi is working great and the Alta is flying great. HOWEVER, I've now moved on to trying to get the Movi M15 with my Red Dragon and still having some stabilizing issues. Also whenever I use the heavier payload on the ALTA I get this pendulum / waddling forward back movement in GPS. What can I do to get rid of that forward back swinging movement on the ALTA in GPS during forward flight? Again it's with a heavier payload. Makes it very unstable to fly.

Thanks!

16. Robert Eder

Robert Eder New Member

Try increasing the stiffness settings in the position mode tap! Helps a lot.