/dist/images/branding/favicon

Before buying, advice needed...

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by Matt Mouraud, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Matt Mouraud

Matt Mouraud New Member

Hi guys, I'm about to buy an Alta but I have a few questions.
    I can't really decide between a M10 or M15 configuration.
    I'll be primarily flying a GH4 and every now and then client's RED Dragon.
    The thing is I'm in Bogota Colombia, (8600') and I know Im very limited here. I don't always film here, but the show I'm on right now (Narcos) is mostly shot here and around.
    I know the density altitude will prevent us from flying a RED and have us sticking to the GH4.
    What is the configuration of choice here ? M10 or M15 ? It's a tough choice.

2. Mateusz Hajdziony

Tough choice indeed, Matt... GH4 is too light for M15, so M10 would be a good compromise as it's the lightest of all Movis and will do a splendid job with RED (preferably a carbon fiber one since you are limited) and some light EF lenses since your elevation ASL is so high. You won't probably be able to use a follow focus (motor, controller and cables is are least 450 grams, it's not like you need FF with wide angle lens like 24mm, though) and will have to use the lightest possible power source, that is a 4S LiPo with capacity around 4000mAh (around 25-30 minutes of operation for RED, that is 2 flights). The lightest LiPo that's good for powering RED that I've found is Multistar 10C 4000mAh from Hobbyking.

The only problem with M10 is that you won't be able to use it top mounted with the RED. Probably doable with GH4 since it is light and shouldn't cause issues (that is cause the Movi to flip and crash your props mid flight), but I wouldn't risk top mounting RED with the M10. Actually Freefly's guideline is to never use M10 top mounted, so it's better to stick to that. ;)

You should probably look into using 9000mAh batteries too (maybe even 8000mAh if you can find some good ones with this capacity), that should save you some weight.

Keep in mind that I don't have an ALTA and I've never flown on such high altitudes so what I say is not based on experience with this particular setup. I'm just listing the lightest possible RED setup. :)

3. Zac Eskelsen

Zac Eskelsen New Member

I believe the downside with the M10 is that you can't fly it in inverted mode. According to the Alta manual. I have flown the RED on an M5, and my buddy flies Red all the time on the M5 and it works fine, just in case you want to consider that.

4. Chris Jordan

Chris Jordan Member

I'm on a cell phone, so pardon any typos: you cant mount an M10 on top: period. That's like Russian rullet. Sooner or later the whole ship is going down. I'd get the M5. At your Altitude you seriously can't even romance the idea of a Red, unless you want to be WAY WAY over. If you pick up a carbon Red or a Weapon / Raven you can run those on the M5 but with only Rokinons or lenses under a lb. Again, M10 on top : bad juju.

5. Matt Mouraud

Matt Mouraud New Member

Koszonom Mateusz ! Thanks guys, great insight ! Well the on top thing might not be a big loss and the idea I have already validated with my clients is that Bogota=GH4, sea level : Dragon, they understand and are happy with that. What's the battery of choice for powering the Alta ? I need something that gives me 12-15' at Bogota altitude, which is what I'm getting easily on a DJI S900 with E1200 kit...
    Also do you recommend getting the MIMIC thing ? I already have 4 14SG...

6. Mateusz Hajdziony

I'm actually from Poland but my last name has Hungarian origins. :)

You could grab a Mimic since it's pretty cheap, maybe you could do something nice with it. You will probably still use a regular controller for the Movi most of the time in aerial application. I am considering a Mimic myself to experiment a bit and simulate 'real' flight in some high speed shots (rolling the gimbal left and right to simulate a banking plane) - it should feel more organic with the Mimic.

The choice for batteries is actually pretty easy - either the Freefly's 10Ah packs or Tattus. Tattu 10Ah packs are well tested by many in the industry (and I actually have my suspicion that Freefly packs are actually relabeled 25C 10Ah Tattus). You can also try the 25C 9Ah packs to save some weight, although I haven't tested them yet and I don't know if they are as solid as the 10Ah version. Don't look at anything below 25C because you will need all the juice with a heavy lift machine like ALTA. Never try running a single 20Ah pack because you WILL fry the connector. The ALTA's manual says that you can do that (run single battery), but someone from Freefly said that he fried the connector during testing and that we shouldn't run single batteries with payload.