/dist/images/branding/favicon

Traveling with Lipos?

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by jim mundell, Oct 16, 2015.

1. jim mundell

jim mundell Member

Not sure where the best place to post this, sorry if in wrong spot.

Anyway, about to do a bunch of traveling with Movi and wondering what everyone else has been doing with traveling with the Lipos batteries?

I will need to carry 3 or 4 or them at least and know there are airline restrictions with Lipos.

Does everyone ship them ground ahead of time, ignore airline restrictions, or have other ways?

Hoping someone from Freefly might chime in as I know you must travel with them all the time.

Thanks for input.

2. We do not recommend you check in your LiPo-battery or batteries. The LiPo batteries must go onto the airplane as a carry-on item. Please inspect your LiPo batteries carefully. If you notice that a battery has a puncture or shows any signs of swelling, do not travel, charge or use that battery. It can erupt/explode/burn.
    Also, make sure you tape over the connectors with gaffers tape, so they do not touch during travel. Also, it is highly recommended you acquire a LiPo bag.
    Please see online results here... https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=LiPo+bag&tbm=shop
    Every time I travel with my MoVI & MoVI batteries, I have them in the same carry on bag as my camera & lens gear, that way if i am asked I can associate them with my camera gear as a whole. I have never had an issue. 3-4 lipos should not be a problem.

3. jim mundell

jim mundell Member

Thanks Chris.

I thought you weren't allowed to even carry them as carry on either. Have seem Lipos fires (not Freefly or Movi batteries) and it is not good.

What voltage do you travel with them at? Would assume at a lower level?

What bag do you use to carry a Movi?

Jim

4. Ben Ruffell

Ben Ruffell Active Member

Also, it pays to print out the pages from the airlines website, with their battery rule on them.

5. Sam Fleishman

Sam Fleishman Member

As far as lipo bags go, I have yet to see one that advertises it can handle 6S voltage. Anyone know of any really tough bags?

6. Laurence Hamilton-Baillie

I regularly carry 18x 6 cell 99wh flight batteries, +5 gimbal batts+ quadcopter batts with no problem at all...so far! As long as you isolate them from each other, tape over the terminals, put them in your hand luggage in a suitably professional looking case alongside a print out of the regulations, make sure they are all under 100wh (maybe put a label stating the wh on each battery) you should be fine.