/dist/images/branding/favicon

Fitting a Ronin-m under Cinestar 8 without retractable landing gear?

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Hannes Frigård, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Hannes Frigård

Has anyone seen/done any solution for this?

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

If you did it, you'd have to attach legs to the Ronin itself, like the Freefly gimbal and the MōVI. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to do a 360° rotation.

I don't think the Ronin was designed with that in mind. It's heavy enough already! The big DJI copters all have retracts, right?

3. Hannes Frigård

The big DJI copter do have retracts, but since I have 3-axis (radian) gimbal, would like to be able to use that for still photography (with 5D mIII) and use the Ronin-m for video.

4. Alex Fuller

Alex Fuller Member

He is talking about the Ronin-M which is actually half the weight of the original Ronin coming in at 5lbs and nearly twice the payload capacity of the MOVI M5. I have mine mounted to my Cinestar X8 via the CineMilled adapter plate screwed onto the CS Ninja Star plate. Not sure if there is a work around without retracts, but you should check out the Foxtech Landing gear, great price and quality: http://www.foxtechfpv.com/d130-single-landing-gear-p-2009.html

5. Hannes Frigård

Thanks for the link Alex, ordered a pair of them.

6. Errol Vaes

Errol Vaes New Member

Hey Alex, do you use the original Ronin Transmitter to control the gimbal? You can't connect it to the flight controller right?

7. Alex Fuller

Alex Fuller Member

Yes I am using the ronin transmitter for control right now, and it also has the ability to use another rx/tx combo like futaba or spektrum. I'm not aware of a way to connect it to a flight controller, although I'd have to double check.

8. Errol Vaes

Errol Vaes New Member

thanks for the reply Alex. So using the tx of the Ronin means that you only have a maximum range of 100 meters? Works that for you?

9. Alex Fuller

Alex Fuller Member

I havent actually tested the range on the Ronin Remote, but I just realized I can control the Ronin through my Connex Amimon system. Gotta get a compatible radio since there are only a few that work, but going to test some things tonight, I let you know the results.

10. Errol Vaes

Errol Vaes New Member

That would be great Alex :) thanks again for sharing

11. Jason Herring

Jason Herring Member

Alex how does the footage look? What is your all up weight? and what camera are you flying?

12. Hannes Frigård

I'm using a Canon C100 with EF 24mm/2,8 IS lens.
    All up weight with Ronin-M, C100+24mm and Atomos Ninja Star recorder is 10,1 kg.
    The footage is great, absolutely steady.

13. Jason Herring

Jason Herring Member

Hanes, Thanks so much for the info, Are you running u7 motors and what size props?

14. Hannes Frigård

At the moment I'm running Axi 2826/12 (760 kV) motors and 13 inch T-motor props with 2 x 10.000 mAh 4S batteries.
    I've bought new U5 motors, 65A ESC's and 550 mm booms. Haven't decided the props yet.
    Longer booms are a bit problematic because 100 mm wider motor distance doesn't quite fit my car (and can't afford to buy bigger car at the moment...). Considering to use rotor overlapping (i.e. every other motor is elevated 20 - 25 mm's) and decrease the overall diameter with 15 inch props.

15. Alex Fuller

Alex Fuller Member

Footage is looking pretty good so far, did a few flights with a GH4/12mm f2.0 last weekend and only noticed a little bit of "bounce" in the footage which I think was due to the Red/Blue Vibration O-rings I have on the dampeners. Switched to all blue, seems a bit stiffer and more stable, will re-test over the weekend.

Frame: Cinestar Folding X8, KDE 4014, 17 x 5.5 Carbon Foxtech Props
    Ronin-M w/ Sony A7s/GH4
    2x 6S 12000mah (going to be switching to a single 16000 or two 9000's, the motors were getting very hot running these two so I might need shed some weight, although getting about 15min flight time).
    AUW: 22-25lbs

16. Alex Fuller

Alex Fuller Member

I've installed these with pretty great results, its nice to be able to walk through doors and load into the car easily! http://www.secraft.net/shop/step1.php?number=1507

Attached Files:

Leo Bund likes this.
  17. Laurence Hamilton-Baillie

I had to fly at altitude the other day so retracts had to be stripped off to save weight. Just modified the peli that I use to carry my transmitters so that i could take off/ land from it.

Attached Files:

18. Shaun Stanton

Shaun Stanton Active Member

I would go with the retracts. It's much more elegant of a solution then trying to attach landing gear prongs. I use terrot landing gear similar to the DJI design. I had to modify mine with Cinestar 450mm booms to allow for clearances for the full Ronin. I think the m would clear with normal terrot legs.

Leo Bund likes this.