/dist/images/branding/favicon

ALTA & DUST

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by georgemcnabb, Oct 21, 2015.

1. georgemcnabb

georgemcnabb Member

Hey guys,

Looking for a quick bit of advice, I ruined a set of motors with dust, although it was magnetic dust, because we have weird beaches I still wanted to ask cause now I am constantly paranoid.

We are flying on a construction site tomorrow and wondering what everyone else does when flying from a dusty environment. I know many of you fly in deserts and I have seen the Copter Kids flying it in high winds with dust going everywhere...

Do you just clean it all down with high pressure air afterwards or whats the verdict?

Thanks in advance!

2. Todd Hillhouse

Todd Hillhouse New Member

I'm curious too. I saw the alta on a demo land in some rough dirt small debris was flying everywhere. I guess it is mostly the type of particles that make up the dust that determines said damage if any.

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

For those kinds of situations I use a 10' x 10' blue** tarp as a take off and landing zone -- with weights around the edges. If you take off vertically (and "briskly") the prop-wash holds the tarp down.

For landing, The technique I use a vertical descent to about 10' above the center of the tarp and hold it there to blow away any dust that's settled from the take-off (or the wind has brought in).

But yes, George, I'd use an air hose or can of compressed air to blow the motors clean -- be carefully not to blow the propellant into the motors though...keep the can upright. :)

Andy

** It has to be blue for it to be known as a Haynes-approved tarp. An in-joke from several years ago. :)

Steve Maller and MIke Magee like this.
  4. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

I find that a brown tarp works just as well well too.
    -m

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I'll let Mr. Haynes make his own disdainful comment here, Mike. :)

Andy.

6. alex ryan

alex ryan Member

The only tarp I have is green :(

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Alex. Sorry. Mr. Haynes does not approve of green tarps. Blue is better because....well, just because. :)

Andy

8. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

And in a magnetic environment blue with non ferrous shiny brass grommets attached to wooden pegs. Plenty of wooden pegs around this time of year due to Halloween and vampires....

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Joking apart, I've seen some folks who construct a plywood "landing pad" about 2 meters (6 feet in Fahrenheit) square and use that as an alternative to the tarp. For reasons already stated, it must be painted blue. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Oh....I should have mentioned that it's either hinged along the center line, or interlocks like a jig-saw puzzle (I'm not very fond of jig-saw puzzles, so it would have to be a design best describes as "Jig-saw Puzzle for Idiots" for me.)

Andy