/dist/images/branding/favicon

Movi M10 full cage upgrade

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Alasdair Smith, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Alasdair Smith

Alasdair Smith New Member

The M10 full cage upgrade is shown as sold out on the Freefly store website. Does this mean that this option has been discontinued?

2. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

Kopterworx has it in stock if you need it urgent.

3. Hi Alasdair...Our apologies! It is not being discontinued, we were just out previously. We do have more in stock today and have updated the store.

Denise

4. Alasdair Smith

Alasdair Smith New Member

Thank you. It was the fact it said "Sold Out" rather than "Currently out of stock" which made me wonder. I'm still deciding whether it's a necessary upgrade for me.

5. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

If you are using your Movi under a multirotor, than the difference is huge, especially with light cameras.

6. Rolf Ableiter

Rolf Ableiter Active Member

that's interesting... do you have sample footage before and after installing the full cage?
    for me, the reason why the cage will help to get better footage isn't clear. There is a sensor under the camera and there are encoders in the motors to recognize the position of the gimbal axis' and i don't know why a cage around the camera will help the algorithm to do a better work.
    That's the reason why i din't pay the 500 EUR yet for the upgrade. If i could see a "before and after" video wich shows me the huge difference you are talking about i would buy it... paying 500 EUR just to try it out doesn't sound good to me :)

7. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

I don't have any before / after video. If you are getting satisfying results with your current setup, there is no need to upgrade. But If you think your footage is not silk smooth enough or if your footage is moving like a cradle, then this upgrade is for you.

An example: Without cage, I could get the tilt stiffness to 7 without cage for GH4 + Rokinon 12 mm lens. After the cage upgrade, I could increase the tilt stiffness to 20.

8. Rolf Ableiter

okay - i think i'll get it. my tilt stiffness is 9 with GH4 and 1235 and 12 with GH and Tokina 11-16/speedbooster.
    There is room for more :)

9. Mateusz Hajdziony

Hey Ozkan, so, do you now get a perfectly stable footage with GH4 on M10 under a multirotor? I am still fighting with small imperfections in the footage form multirotor. It seems good at first glance, but you can always see that the camera is shaking slightly when you look carefully at the horizon (at the edges of the screen). This is worse in windy conditions and when using lighter lens. Do you think that the full cage upgrade would help in my case?

@Rolf - the full cage will also help with balancing larger cameras that are close to the weight limit of the M10. As an example, it's impossible to balance RED Dragon with cine lens and remote follow focus in tilt axis because the two horizontal booms (on which the camera sits) are constantly twisting causing the camera to either lean forwards or backwards. There's nothing that can be done to balance it without full cage upgrade and that's why I'm thinking about getting one myself.

10. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

For my taste, the results with GH4 is not perfect but it's there. The heavier the camera gets, the results also get better. So, putting a cage on a GH4 (which helps a lot with BMPCC), would improve the footage quality since you could increase the stiffness settings.

11. Rolf Ableiter

i'll get the cage tomorrow. i really hope this will help me getting better footage...

12. Mateusz Hajdziony

Rolf, can you post a before and after video when you get the cage? If your results are much better then I'm going to get the cage too. Just don't want to shell $500 on something that I'm not really sure that I need.

13. Rolf Ableiter

i will :)

i tested today without cage and will fly again tomorrow at the same place with the cage.

i hope i din't spend 500 EUR for nothing :)

14. Rolf Ableiter

UPS came late and after finishing the full cage on my M10 it was dark out there...

but i balanced the camera (lumix with 1235 panasonic) and tuned the gimbal (with ALTA hanging).

still i am far from the promised 20 on tilt stiffness but with 70% autotune setting i can get 15 on tilt without any oscillation or buzzing (gyro and output filter is 3). Roll stiffness is at 60.
    So i hope this will give me a more stable picture. I will fly tomorrow morning (i hope for good weather).

15. Wolf Schiebel

Wolf Schiebel Active Member

Rolf, try to set Autotune to 50%. That should also help..

Best,

Wolf

16. Rolf Ableiter

password: cage

i had the OIS turned on in both flights. sorry.
    it's better. I think the biggest problem are the vibrations coming from ALTA.
    lowering the vertical stiffness didn't make it better so i will try to go back to default (11) and test again.
    still fighting...

17. Mateusz Hajdziony

Looks better, but still far from perfect considering the extra $ that Freefly gear costs. Did you try lowering the Gyro or Output filters even more?

18. Rolf Ableiter

I think the cage improve things since i have higher stiffness gains but
    my Problem is the ALTA. The Vibration and shakes are to rough for the MoVi.
    support gave me some help (really fast!!!) and i will try that.

19. Adam Varadi

Adam Varadi Member

What camera are you using? In my experience bigger (heavier) cameras are better for all the Movis. With the Canon 5D i get a 95% perfect stabilisation, but with the RED it's well above 100%. (Even with longer lenses) :)